Hub metrics Vs traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 13 years ago

I looked for hubs that explained hub metrics but failed in my quest. I am still trying to find the right browser that will not time out or encourage Explorer 8 to not display a web page.

My topic concerns hub metrics. I have complete 100 hubs and not earned 100 cents yet.Earnings is not the issue though it raises a question. I have analyzed 30 hubs so far for the day. The way I read hub metrics is that it shows potential earning because of relevant content or whatever factors.What puzzles me is that one hub with $$$$$ in hub metrics got 7 views. Another with $$$$ got 20 views. On the other hand, another hub with $$$$ got 145 views.

I know that traffic varies because of content; and of course everything takes time. I have read hubs online and printed out information on getting traffic and other information I consider relevant. Apparently I am doing something wrong as well as something right.

Since I am analyzing my hubs so I can improve them, I need to understand if I need to ignore metrics and rivet my eyes on getting traffic. Or, should I use metrics as a guide for potential traffic? I read Darkside's hub and it was helpful; but I must have missed the metrics parts. Is there a hub on metrics?

Also, apparently my traffic is reading my hubs but not clicking ads because in 9 months I have had over 3000 views but no earnings. I read that there is a 40% hubber/60% Hubpages sharing.Where do I view Hubpages earning? Google Ad Sense earning is zilch. I eagerly await comments and any advice that will help me to be a better hubber and earn some money.

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me it did take a while to earn anything of 0.01 or 0.02c a day - after about three months I was generally getting about 400 hits a day and probaly earning 25c - the I found a niche and my traffic exploded - my earnings also exploded....

..it took time and also took luck!

I note that you asked where you see you 'hubpages' earnings? you don't - the way it works is that when your hubpage is displated - 40% of the time it uses your affiliate ID, 60% of the time it uses Hubpages affiliate ID  - thus if someone clicks an add when it's Hubpages' turn - they earn the money not you! As you get more traffic - you will see more clicks...

...the key for me was to find a niche while slowly building up traffic to my other hubs....

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The dollar signs indicated the potential for revenue based on the subject matter should the hub get traffic.  They are not an indicator of whether a hub is likely to get traffic.  Or as we say below the hub metrics: "Revenue potential is a very rough prediction of earning per page view based on the subject matter of the hub."

2. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Internal HubPages traffic will not earn you a great deal of money. Your real earning potential lies in attracting visits from search engines or other referring sites.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dispute this actually, sorry. Consider this.....

Mr X visits my hubpage called 'Banana Milkshake Recipe' which has the tag 'Milkshake Recipe', he found it on Google.

Your hubpage 'Best Chocolate Milkshake Recipe' has the same tag 'milkshake recipe' and it shows up on related hubs.

He likes my recipe, bookmarks it, and then thinks "Yummy, chocolate milkshake"..... so clicks through to yours.

He hasn't found your hubpage from a search engine has he? He is internal traffic.

If I linked to your Best Chocolate Milkshake Recipe from my Banana Milkshake hub, and Mr Y visits your hub from my link, that is also considered internal traffic. Mr Y found my hub through Google.

Explain how Mr X and Mr Y are less valuable to you than Mr X and Y were to me?

They are not any more or less valuable, yet they are internal traffic to you and external traffic to me.

The only internal traffic which isnt valuable are other hubbers, basically the 178 people who get emailed when Peter Hoggan publishes a hub, and a few that stumble across you in other ways.... such as seeing a forum post and checking you out.

About 20% of my traffic is internal traffic, according to Analytics, I get over 10000 page views per day. I am pretty certain that there are not 2000 hubbers visiting my pages each day.... Possibly 100.... These come about from related hubs, effective tagging. I genuinely attribute at least 1500 page views on a normal day to the related hubs column and the occassional featured hub.

In fact, the biggest problem for most of these people who bemoan lack of earnings is in fact their failure to attract a sufficient amount of internal traffic, I genuinely believe that.

3. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Also your related hubpages, why not link them together as you seem not to have done that with your financial hub series in multi parts, although there are links at the side that link to some of your related content, it would be best to link to your related content within your actual hubpage content.

This could get you slightly more external traffic if you make each link a tightly focused keyword link and the emphasis is on Could!, because some topics that are broad in scope are harder to compete in the search engines first pages for....

4. Peter Hoggan profile image67

Rayan,

Mr X visits my Hubpage called 'Banana Milkshake Recipe' which has the tag 'Milkshake Recipe', he found it on Google.

OK, so the tag page was found via Google and pulled the visitor to your hub. Regardless how many milkshake recipes the visitor looks at the traffic stemmed from Google even if the last referrer was HubPages.

When I referred to HubPage traffic in my last post I was referring to other HubPage users. However, just so I am perfectly clear I am not saying that search engine traffic is more likely to click on ads just that potentially the amount of traffic available outside HubPages own community is where the biggest opportunity for earning lies.

It's an economy of scale.

1. profile image0

But on the hubpages traffic sources, and google analytics, a visit from one hubpage to another is considered a page view sourced from hubpages.com? Or does it count as two page views sourced from Google? I don't think it does.

I have hubpages which get zero search engine traffic, as a result of very high cpc for the subject and thus high competition, but which manage to achieve 100 page views per month..... all from hubpages.com..... related hubs. Direct traffic from search engines is not necessarily imperative if you can effectively attract internal traffic.

I was wrong by the way, less than 10% of my traffic is internal, but still..... 95000 page views from internal sources..... 10000 a month..... a few hundred a day..... You cant knock that.

But then you know all this already, you know the power of related hubs, I've just checked out your tagging and it is perfect.

5. aoiffe379 profile image60

I understand the need for external traffic. Now allow me to give an example. A hub provides 500 views. Based on the statistics, about 25 came from Hubpages.That means the other views came from external traffic. As I said, I have spent most of the day analyzing my poor performing hubs.All of them are not doing poorly.The Financial Angel hub, for example,"took off" and I am trying to determine the 'recipe' that makes it delectable to viewers with a $$$ from hub metrics. Another hub with $$$$ is trailing that one by about 300.

Believe me, I am not complaining; and I will find a way. I will link hubs that are series.Thanks for the reminder. The ones that are alike will be linked too.Any other critiques?I need at least 500 -1000 views a day + clicks as I am in a ditch and need to get out before the end of April 2010.Your ideas and hub suggestions to read will be appreciated. Thanks.

I still need someone to clarify where the 40% for impression goes as I know some friends who plan to join me here.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your share goes into your Adsense account. You have set one up haven’t you?

2. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As I said before. When someone visits your Hub - 40% of the time there will be a Google Ad with your Google Adsense affiliate ID - the other 60% of the time it will be Hubpages affiliate ID.

So if someone clicks on the Google Ad when your Affiliate ID is 'live' then you get 100% of the revenue.

Obviously...you must have an account with Google Adsense for this to work...if you're getting no revenue -check your affiliate settings....the Google adsense should start with ca-pub-.....

6. Peter Hoggan profile image67

Ryan,

Visitor paths extend further than the last page visited. To get a good understanding of how visitor are finding pages and interacting with a website you need a lot more information than just last page visited.

Actually if you look at the keywords data in your analytics it might give you some idea as to some of the keyphrase visitors used to originally find HubPages. Some will be completely unrelated to any of your hubs because they started their session looking for something entirely different.

Impressive visitor stats by the way!

1. profile image0

Thanks, I will check that out, I do look occassionally.... but only at the first page or two wink

7. aoiffe379 profile image60

Thanks again. I do have an ad sense account. Analytics? I have to research that one. Seems like i missed a building block.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep, you will need to get an Adsense account and tie it into HubPages before you can generate earnings from clicks.

8. aoiffe379 profile image60

Thanks to all of you. My AdSense is tied into my Hubpages account as I have an ID. I checked out Analytics and signed up for Amazon.I'll work on Ebay and Kontera.I went to the Learning Center again and Ichecked out Relarche,Darkside hubs as well as a few more hubbers. While I have to reach my own solutions and resolutions, I appreciate all the help and ideas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)