- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Collecting & Collections
Top Toys - Great Gifts Barbie Doll and Family Name Quiz and More
Barbie and Family Fast Facts
The Barbie® Family, Friends and Pets
Take a journey with us back into time. Restore memories of a simpler time, playing with Barbie Dolls. Recall the friends and family of Barbie. And view all the items for sale now - grouped by name - from dogs, to horses to family and friends. And then to cap everything off, take our quiz - see if you can get a perfect score. And IF your memory is still bad (as mine was!), watch the very first commercials and the introductions of friends and family of Barbie.
Enjoy the fond memories!
Mother - Who is known as the “Mother” of Barbie® doll? The inventor Ruth Handler, co-owner of Mattel Corporation.
Dancer (1971) – Barbie’s first horse, introduced in 1971
Star Stepper (1991) – Barbie’s horse which appears in a gift set called All American Star Stepper 1991
High Stepper….. – Barbie’s horse
Snow Dancer 1991 – Midge’s horse and a Toys R Us exclusive
Poodle (1964) – dog’s name unknown, Barbie’s first pet, came with an outfit and the set was called “Dog N Duds.”1964
Sparky …..– Barbie’s firefighter dog – a Dalmation – of course!
Prince ……– Barbie’s dog
Lord …..– Barbie’s dog in London, an Afghan
Ken® ……..– Also known as “Carson” is the name of Ken as given in the Random House series of books, who lives across from Barbie® in Willows, Wisconsin, a fictional town
Willows, Wisconsin, designated to be Anywhere in USA, named after the legendary Princess Willow who lived at the edge of a forest. NOTE: Ken and Barbie had the full wedding series, but yet the
Midge® Hadley ……– best friend of Barbie®
Stacey (1992) – a friend of Barbie, p. 41, she was named after Ken Handler’s first daughter or Ruth Handler’s granddaughter named Stacey.
Barbie’s Friends’ Relatives
Albert – Midge’s little brother – mentioned in the book Barbie®‘s Adventures to Read Aloud, Wonder Books, 1964.
Tommy – Ken’s brother 1997
Two cousins were mentioned – P.J. and Francie.
P.J. – Barbie’s cousin
Francie ……. - also Barbie’s cousin, was loosely based upon Gidget (Francie Lawrence) , “a wacky teenager who wore mod clothes. This character was played Sandra Dee in the movies and Sally Fields on the television series.”
Barbie’s Brothers & Sisters
Barbie’s brothers and sisters included 3 Sisters - Skipper (1964), Tutti (1966-68) Kelly (1991), one brother – Todd (1966-68) and one sister-in-law – Tracey.
Skipper (1964) – Barbie’s little sister and a smaller doll measuring in comparison to Barbie’s 11.5” and Ken’s 12”, measuring at …………
Tutti (1966-68) Barbie’s baby sister (twin with Todd), with blue eyes
Todd - Barbie’s baby brother (twin with Tutti), with brown eyes, named after Ruth Handler’s grandson, Barbara’s son
Kelly (1991) - Barbie’s sister
Todd …….– Barbie’s brother, married Tracey 1983
Tracey….. – Barbie’s sister-in-law, married Todd 1983
1. Who invented the Barbie doll?
2. How many sisters did Barbie have?
3. How many brothers did Barbie have?
4. Did Barbie have cousins?
5. Did Barbie have a sister-law? Y
6. Barbie had over 3 horses and 4 different dogs?
7. Ken and Barbie were married?
8. Mattel only created one size of Barbie – 11.5”?
9. Until 1970, Barbies were sold wearing mainly swimsuits?
10. Of all the outfits sold for Barbie, the wedding dress is the best seller?
Barbie and Family Quiz
view quiz statistics
First Ken Barbie Commercial
First Skipper Barbie Commercial
Francie Barbie First Commercial
Barbie and Tanner Dog Commercial
Barbie Tawney Walking Horse Commercial
Quiz Answers and Notes
1. Who invented the Barbie doll? Barbara Handler
2. How many sisters did Barbie have? 3
3. How many brothers did Barbie have? 1 Todd
4. Did Barbie have cousins? Yes
5. Did Barbie have a sister-law? Yes, Tracey, wife of Todd
6. Barbie had over 3 horses and 4 different dogs? True,
7. Ken and Barbie were married? False, p 86 “Barbie® doll and Ken® doll were never married” Additionally, p. 66 “From the beginning, Ruth Handler insisted Barbie doll should be whonever a little igrl wanted her to be. Mattel still pursues that policy and believe Barbie doll married Ken would close off that play pattern…..
8. Mattel only created one size of Barbie – 11.5”? False, in 1977 Mattel created Supersized Barbie®, 18” in height.
9. Until 1970, Barbie’s were sold wearing mainly swimsuits? True in the 1970’s the dolls were given outfits and the fashion designs, costumes became more intricate.
10. Of all the outfits sold for Barbie, the wedding dress is the best seller? True
Enjoy this website? Not a member yet?