Left 4 Dead 2
Left 4 Dead 2 is awsome.
How do I know Left 4 Dead 2 is awsome? Because Left 4 Dead was/is awsome. As most gamers are now well aware, Left 4 Dead is an exceedingly fun cooperative first person shooter. Finally, you and three friends can gang up to... Kill zombies! As most can agree, when there's zombies involved any anything, and I mean anything, you know it's going to be good.
As far as we know, Left 4 Dead 2 is not a continuation of the original Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead 2 features four new survivors, as well as five (?) all new campaigns. Much to the delight of gamers everywhere, Valve finally realized that a game based around shooting zombies should have guns. Lots of guns. What Left 4 Dead lacked was a huge collection of guns. This of course is only forgivable due to the awsome gameplay. Left 4 Dead 2 will have much of the same awsome gameplay, and many, many more guns. And guitars, frying pans, katanas, chainsaws and yes, even some axes! But enough about guns, let's look at some of the new features (some confirmed, some wild, rampant speculation).
Left 4 Dead 2 is set in the southern United States. Expect heavy southern accents and crude references to inbreeding from the game's sole female character, rochelle. Who also happens to be the games only non-southerner.
- Coach - is/was a high school football coach from Savannah, GA. After a knee injury sidelined him, Coach got his degree. A degree in killing the undead (okay I made that up)
- Nick - Gambler, conman, guy in a nice suit. Zombie apocalypse? I could sure benefit from that! Only time will tell how this cynical jerk will get ahead.
- Ellis - An auto mechanic who loves to have fun. And drink. Expect the southern stereoptypes personified.
- Rochelle - The lone female. She's from Ohio, and as such, is a dirty northerner. She was working at a news station when she was sent to Savannah, where some strange things were brewing. Sucks for her! Hah!
Five new campaigns
- Swamp Fever - Kill zombies. At night. In a swamp.
- Dark Carnival - Love amusement parks? And zombies? Combine the two for extreme zombie killing, sideshow-playing (rumored) action. Also apparently takes place at night?
- The Parish (according to Somethingawful.com) - New Orleans. With zombies. At night. (Just kidding, this one apparently takes place during the day).
New features that are fantastic!
- Incendiary rounds (again, according to SomethingAwful.com) - Anything you shoot catches on fire. I assume this also means team mates. Heh.
- Same old special infected, with three new ones - Pictures of said infected are below.
- Useful witches - The witches in Left 4 Dead just sat there crying like little girls. Get to close and they'd kill you. Now? They wander around, and I can only assume, continue to cry like little girls.
- More "plain Jane" zombies - The incredible amount of different zombie models in the first game returns, only this time featuring even more wacky Valve humor. Zombies in HAZMAT suits. Someone said that the zombies will now be even more dismemberable. Only time will tell. Is dismemberable even a word?
- Adrenaline pills - I'm guessing this are going to replace health pills, and will probably give the player increased run speed, as well as damage soaking.
- Chose and ammo pack or a medkit - Are you to much of a badass to need a medkit? Take an ammo pouch instead to increase your ammo capacity.
- Smarter AI - Zombies are idiots, but the director which controls them is not. It's even better now, and can alter the difficulty depending on how the survivors are doing. Doing well? Expect problems. Getting destroyed? Hello easy mode.
- Camping is done - One of the worst/best parts about the first Left 4 Dead is that in order to survive a zombie horde, you simply needed to run into a closet or corner and fire/melee like crazy. This made you esentially untouchable. To prevent this, Left 4 Dead 2 will continue to hurl a zombie horde at you until you progress to a certain point, which will trigger the end of the horde. You can still closet or corner camp, however the horde will never end.