Minecraft 1.7.4 world generator update: smaller oceans, better biomes
Minecraft world generator seeds will likely change too
Minecraft world generator receives an update
Today, Mojang announced that on Minecraft 1.7 there will be some serious changes to the world generator system.
According to their official news feed, "There have been three main problems" that they want to address. These include "Too large oceans," "Too uneven/random biome placement," and "not enough variation."
As lots of us are familiar with, there are currently a lot of issues with these problems that most of us really don't mind, but it would be nice to see it updated. Mojang's solutions to these problems include:
- Tweaks to add more islands and checks to avoid huge oceans
- Biomes have been put into four main categories: snow-covered, cold, medium, and dry/warm. Biomes will avoid getting placed next to a biome that is too different to itself (sometimes this still happens, but it’s very rare now and not all over the place)
- We’ve added a whole bunch of new biomes…
- … and most biomes have uncommon/rare variations that you may run into
- We’ve also added a bunch of new terrain features, such as new flowers and trees
Mojang's display of old biomes vs. new biomes
So what exactly does this mean for the Minecraft world generator?
In retrospect there will be dramatically smaller oceans, new terrain types, new biomes, and many more islands in the waters.
According to Mojang's official news feed, they've "added a whole bunch of new biomes" which is the most interesting part of the entire update. I've heard rumors of volcano's, but who knows what else they'll add.
To get an idea of what the worlds will look like check out the picture on the side, as you can see the new biomes have dramatically smaller oceans and dramatically less variability in biome randomization. Now you'll pretty much never see a desert right beside an ocean, which makes a whole lot more sense.
Mojang has decided to upgrade the biomes, and it will be really nice hopefully. They've added some new ones, or maybe remade all of them, it's unclear at this point. Either way 1.7.4 couldn't come soon enough, the anticipation is enough to kill.
Hopefully with this update the seeds for the world generator will be more exciting and less confusing. At the same time, this may make it very difficult to find the biomes we desire and difficult to find villages and temples, so we'll have to see what the future holds.
Tell us what you think below.