- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Pros and Cons of Wii, Playstation Move and Kinect Game Consoles
The Nintendo Wii has been my favorite video gaming option since it first came out. However, there are some new consoles that are going to give the Wii a run for its money. Playstation Move and Kinect by Microsoft are both going to offer motion-sensitive gaming that is more like the Wii than like the traditional handheld gaming systems we’re all used to. How will the three different options compare to one another once they’re all available? Well, they’ll all have their pros and cons, of course. Let’s take a closer look.
Pros and Cons of Nintendo Wii
The Nintendo Wii has the advantage of being the first game system to embrace motion-sensitive gaming. It’s been around for a few years now so people are familiar with it. And it’s done a good job of keeping players impressed with new games and options emerging every now and then.
In addition to being the most established of the three options, the advantages of the Wii compared to two new gaming systems include:
· Affordability. Having been around for awhile, the price point of the Nintendo Wii has dropped and is going to be lower in price than the new-release options will be (at least for awhile).
· Ease-of-use. This system just might be the easiest one for all ages to learn how to use. Since the system has been marketed to young children as well as the unfit elderly, it needs to be simple enough for all markets.
· Cool retro-inspired games. The Wii has got a great toehold on retro-inspired games like Mario games which is a treat for the thirty-ish video game player who remembers those games well but is ready for a modern upgrade!
Pros and Cons of Playstation Move
The Playstation Move bring motion-sensor options to this popular game console. A lot of people really love Playstation games and are excited about this new option coming out in September 2010. In addition to the Playstation brand, some of the advantages that Playstation Move may have over the other two options include:
· Appealing to the hardcore gaming market. This option offers the games that the hardcore late adolescent, twenty-something gaming crowd is really interested in right now.
· Controller with many functions. There are many different functions on this controller whereas the Wii controller is very simple (and the Kinect doesn’t even require a controller). This is a turnoff for a lot of people but can be an asset for some gaming when you get used to using the controller.
· Good price on bundled products. The Wii may be lower in price to start with but it can get pricey if you add a lot of other products to enhance it. Playstation is offering bundled packages that reduce the total cost of buying multiple gaming products for your Move.
· The controller has a rechargeable battery. This is in contrast to the Wii controller which eats up batteries like there’s no tomorrow. If you’re looking for a greener option (or at least the need NOT to go to the store for new batteries all of the time) then the Playstation Move can be appealing for that reason.
Pros and Cons of Kinect
Kinetic is a new option from Microsoft that will be available to add to Xbox 360 later this year. Other than being specifically appealing to people who already own an Xbox, this option has the following advantages:
· No controller. Some people love the fact that this option is going to actually just use the sensations of your body and not rely on a controller at all. This seems to be the future of gaming.
· It uses a touchscreen. Another way-of-the-future design feature to give a thumbs up to this option.
· It relies on a camera system. This camera can track four different players at once which is nice for game play. It also allows for video chatting on the Internet which is a nice bonus feature. We’re coming to a time when the Internet, television and gaming will all be on one device and this is the start of that.
· It’s coming out right before the holiday season. That’s a good thing for retailers anyway and it’s nice for parents looking for an easy option for this year’s high-tech gifts.
The Bottom Line
When it comes down to it, a lot of the reasons that you would choose one of these options over the others relates to brand name. If you love Playstation, you’ll get a Move. If you already have a Playstation, you may find it too costly to invest in an Xbox 360 just to get Kinect. If you’re used to the Wii, the advanced controller on the Playstation might not appeal to you (and so on and so forth).
Price will also play a role in your decision to get a new gaming system, of course. The Wii will be the most cost-effective choice for most people although the Kinect is comparable in price if you already have an Xbox 360. And, of course, if you’re the type of person to buy a lot of additional gaming accessories then the Playstation Move could be the most cost-effective option for you.
Finally, you’ll need to look closely at the type of games that you want to play. If you’re into hardcore gaming then you’ll definitely want a Playstation Move. If you love the retro games then the Wii wins hands down. If you’re into the whole dance and fitness thing then you’ll be happy with the Wii but might also want to see what the new Kinect offers since that’s going to be the specialty of that particular gaming system.