- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
Cornhole Boards, What makes a quality board???
What is cornhole?
It is an outdoor game played by attempting to throw corhole bags through holes in one of two angled ornhole boards. Cornhole can be played either as a competitive sport or as a way of having a good time with friends and family. It is simple enough the kids can do it. It is compact enough to take almost anywhere. It is safe enough that even the intoxicated can't hurt themselves. Cornhole has become a great activity for tailgating, picnics, and family reunions. Cornhole tournaments have also been successfully used as fundraisers.
Whether you call it corn hole, cornhole, baggs, baggo, corn bag toss, corn toss, or something else, Cornhole is a game that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and walks of life.
How Chi Town Custom Cornhole makes cornhole boards
Below is a four part how to video series by Tom at Chi-Town Custom Cornhole showing how to make a cornhole board set. These videos depict one of many styles of cornhole board sets. One nice feature of the design shown is the built in drink holder that is fully protected from the bags in play.
If you would like to check out Chi-Town Custom Cornhole's web page then follow this link - http://www.chitowncornhole.com/ There boards have many options including scoring abacus, hidden storage areas, handles and locking clasps Make sure that you check out their custom painted boards because some of them are absolutely amazing.
How to build Cornhole Boards 1 of 4
How to build Cornhole Boards 2 of 4
How to build Cornhole Boards 3 of 4
How to build Cornhole Boards 4 of 4
Official Cornhole boards
For those wanting their cornhole boards to meet specifications set forth by either the American Cornhole Organization or the American Cornhole Association should check out the following excerpts from their websites -
American Cornhole Association rules concerning cornhole boards
Below is an excerpt from the American Cornhole Associations rules and regulations found on there website - http://www.playcornhole.org/
Section A. Equipment Standards - The ACA has adopted the following equipment specifications and standards for Cornhole / Corn Toss:
1. Each Cornhole platform shall be a 48" x 24" rectangle made of half inch plywood. ACA sanctioned tournaments should only be played with wooden Cornhole platforms as there is significant variance in play between wooden and plastic or other surfaces.
2. The hole in the Cornhole platform shall be six inches in diameter and be centered nine inches from the top and 12 inches from each side of the Cornhole platform edges.
3. The front of the Cornhole platform shall be from 2-1/2” inches from bottom to top and be at near a 90-degree angle to the deck face.
4. The back of the Cornhole platform shall be 12 inches from ground to the highest point of the deck at a 90-degree angle to the deck face.
5. The cornhole platform should have solid wood sides with the only opening to the underside of the cornhole platform being through the hole in the cornhole platform. Although portable fold-down platforms are acceptable (with open sides), platforms with solid wooden sides are preferred for ACA sanctioned tournament play as it is sometimes difficult (especially late in the day) to determine if a corn bag was pitched into the hole or came to rest under the cornhole platform by being pitched through the open sides in a cornhole platform.
6. The Cornhole / Corn Toss play surface shall be finish sanded to a very smooth texture and there shall not be any blemishes in the wood surface that might disrupt or distort play.
7. The Cornhole / Corn Toss play surface shall be painted with a high gloss latex paint resulting in a surface that allows corn bags to slide but is not so slippery that it allows the bags to slide back down the platform. The preferable color is white, but any easy to see color is acceptable for tournament play.
American Cornhole Organizations rules concerning sanctioned cornhole boards
Below is an excerpt from the American Cornhole Organization rules and regulations found on there website - http://www.americancornhole.org/
3.1 Sanctioned Cornhole Equipment
The ACO approves only American Cornhole boards and cornhole bags to be used in any Sanctioned cornhole tournament or cornhole league.
- Each board is a 47 1/2" x 23 1/2" rectangle.
- Each cornhole is 6" in diameter, centered 8 7/8"" from the top of the board to the center of the cornhole and 11 3/4" from each side edge to the center of the Cornhole.
- The front of the board is 3" from bottom to top, nearly a 90-degree angle to the ground.
- The back of the board is 12" from bottom to top, nearly a 90-degree angle to the ground.
- American Cornhole uses 15mm (5/8") Baltic Birch Plywood. The cross-ply construction adds strength and stability, this in turn adds to consistent play on the board.
- The surface has several clear coat Ultra Violet Finishes – unlike a water base or lacquer based finish the UV finish is applied more evenly. The UV finish is cured with special ovens.
- The combination of the Baltic Birch Plywood and the Ultra Violet finish helps American Cornhole create the ultimate consistency in playing surfaces, no other manufacturer offers such consistent and durable playing surfaces as does American Cornhole with it's 0151AC Tournament Series Boards. That is why the ACO uses only the Tournament Series Boards at all sanctioned leagues and tournaments. Due to the construction and weight of American Cornhole boards and highest of quality standards, players can expect to see consistent results time and again.
Official cornhole boards
For those of you wishing to purchase your very own ACO or ACA regulation corhole boards, you can choose from the below products on Amazon.
Official ACA regulation cornhole boards
Plain Cornhole Boards
For those artistic types that are not handy around the old woodshop, the bellow plain Cornhole Boards are ready for you to finish as you wish.
College Cornhole Boards
For those of you who do not wish to make your own set, but want to show your school spirit, check out the below Cornhole boards available through Amazon. These sets are ready to use, so waste no more time in getting your game on.
Other cornhole hubs
- The Cornhole Game
If you are looking for information on the cornhole game then this article is a must read? This article discusses the liesurely corrnhole game. I will answer many cornhole questions. What does a cornhole game have over horseshoes? Who should play the
- Cornhole Bags, what's in yours???
Cornhole bags - This hub goes into detail about cornhole bags with specifications, materials and even videos. Let this hub become your source of information for bags used in the game of Cornhole, Baggo, Corn toss, Baggs, or any other name that you ma