- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Sync your League of Legends Settings, Masteries, and Recommended Items Using Dropbox
There are a few things that really drive me nuts when trying to re-install League of Legends on a fresh install of windows. There are a few things that kill my immune system by knowing masteries, settings and recommended items are not backed up to Riot servers. Well today, I am going to fix your problem.
Pros and Cons
- Backed up masteries
- Backed up settings
- Backed up recommended items
- Performance issue if Dropbox isn't paused as it tries to sync while you are playing and using the files. May cause some flack as there is 1 more step to do before playing.
- The initial upload when first doing this may take a while depending on your internet speed. It will be around 500 MB. After the first initial upload and download for any additional computers it is very light on bandwidth usage.
- I have not tested this on any new patches. There could be large bandwidth usage after a patch, it also depends on the size of the patch.
Things you will need
Here is a list of things you will need in order for this guide to work.
- At least 1 Windows Computer
- Dropbox account with at least 600 MB of storage free
- and of course League of Legends installed
Step 1) Download Junction, which can be found here ( Click )
Step 1b) Install junction by unzipping it and placing the .exe in "C:\Windows\System32"
Step 2) Download and install Dropbox if you haven't already. ( Click )
Note) Please note you will be adding two folders to your Dropbox folder.
Step 3) You need to find 2 folders. The first one should be located "C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases" The second folder should be located "C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\solutions\lol_game_client_sln\releases"
Step 3b) Find your Dropbox folder and create a folder called something like "Riot Backup".
Note) We are taking the releases folder because every time Riot comes out with a new patch, the folder that has the name of 0.0.74, or something similar, will change. So if you try to dive deeper into this folder, every time they patch you will have to set up your shortcuts each time.
Step 4) Open up command prompt by going to your start menu and typing in cmd. Right click on it and run as admin.
What is junction? Junction is a utility that allows you to create direct links to files and folders. Instead of a shortcut like most people are accustomed to. A shortcut on a computer is only a reference of where the file is stored and is not the file itself. You can delete shortcuts without it directly effecting the item that it is referencing. Direct links or Hard links to files makes it so if you delete anything inside the linked folder, you will be deleting information from the actual file. This in turn makes it so we can add certain files from the riot directory with out having to put the entire game in our Dropbox folder. It also makes it so that we don't copy shortcut files, but the actual file itself.
Verify... End comments
The last thing needing to be done is verify the results. Open the Dropbox folder and check to see if the operation was successful. If the folders you specified are in fact there, Happy day for you.
Update: Since the recent patch with Masteries being synced with the server. This guide is no longer needed.