How do you make a homemade kite?

1. GA Anderson profile image83
    GA Andersonposted 5 years ago

How do you make a homemade kite?

2. Laura Schneider profile image92
    Laura Schneiderposted 5 years ago

My parents and I did this when I was a kid (30+ years ago) so forgive me if my instructions aren't very detailed. We got some pieces of 1/4" square wood (I think it was balsa wood, but in any case it was very lightweight). We cut them to size to make the traditional "t" shaped kite skeleton. Then we took medium-light weight (2-3-ply) clear painter's drop cloth plastic and wrapped the kite up like an awkwardly shaped present, cutting and taping loose ends and making sure that the edges touching the wood ends were securely fastened--I think we used clear packing tape. Next, we bought a spool of kite thread (or two) and tied one end to the kite in the center where the T shape crossed, weaving it in and out of the plastic in an "X" form to help hold the pieces of wood together. Next, we raided Mom's sewing kit and attached a ribbon to the bottom of the kite. Every so often we would tie in a cross-piece of fabric to make it look authentic and to help it maintain balance. We would add and remove these fabric pieces to adjust to the wind conditions and the performance of the kite. Then we went out to the backyard (our farmhouse bordered a cornfield, so we were in no danger of hitting power lines) and had some fun. These obviously took about 5 minutes to make and weren't very hardy, but worked splendidly for a short time. We experimented with various shapes, but the perennial favorite was always the basic T kite shape. Good luck! Let me know if this works (or if my memory has skipped a basic step or three). Cheers!

working