What is the best first/second move in chess and why?

1. InterestCaptured profile image87
    InterestCapturedposted 5 years ago

What is the best first/second move in chess and why?

2. NotPC profile image60
    NotPCposted 5 years ago

Playing as white, my favorite first move is always Nf3, followed by g3, followed by Bg2. This sets up a very nice King-Side castle situation which both attacks and defends from the opponent. Check out this entire opening on my chess hubs!

3. sergs_pogi profile image57
    sergs_pogiposted 5 years ago

It depends upon the kind of game you prefer to play. If you like a closed game, you can start with d4. If you like an open game, play e4. There are variations, however, that can lead to the same situation. This is called transposition. If you are not familiar with the strength of your opponent, choose a closed game. Another criterion to decide whether to opt for a closed or open game is the type of your play. Basically, there are two types of play: positional and tactical. If you are a tactician, choose e4, which offers plenty of opportunities for a tactical battle. If you are a positional player like me, though, choose d4, which makes for a quieter development, preparing everything before commencing an attack. There you have it. I hope this helps.