jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is a computer addictive? Is it like an illegal substance, or comparable in a wa

1. Johnathan L Groom profile image32
    Johnathan L Groomposted 5 years ago

Is a computer addictive?  Is it like an illegal substance, or comparable in a way?

I think we sometimes forget how powerful our hands are, even w/ powerful minds and ideas.

2. DavyCrockett profile image73
    DavyCrockettposted 5 years ago

Anything that can entice you can be addictive, therefore a computer is addictive. Most of the time illegal substances have repercussions, and like wise a computer can cause repercussions. The only difference is that the computer is used for both good and evil causes.

1. Sarah Christina profile image82
      Sarah Christinaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Drugs are also used for both good and evil causes...illegal vs. prescription drugs...although I guess some people argue that all drugs are bad. All of them are addictive, that's for sure.

3. Angela Morgan profile image61
    Angela Morganposted 5 years ago

It's really difficult to know how electronic media, be it a computer, television, or even cell phones, affect the brain. Illegal substances that are consumed have chemicals in them that can be traced to certain areas of the brain. When people use a computer or watch TV chemicals in the brain can be released. The endorphins linked to pleasure are the most likely chemical to be released when engaged in activities on a computer. It is these natural (emphasis on natural) endorphins that our brain produces that we become addicted to. So a computer, itself, is not addictive. It is the pleasure we get from using a computer that causes us to become addicted.

*Please note, I am only guessing.

4. profile image0
    Pupu paridaposted 5 years ago

In my view computer is not addictive, but it purely depends on us how we use it. It is otherwise a great way to learn and communicate.

5. Sarah Christina profile image82
    Sarah Christinaposted 5 years ago

A person can become addicted to anything. We all have our vices, and some people seem to have more of a weakness towards certain things than others. However, using a computer or using drugs doesn't become bad until it starts negatively affecting your life (i.e. you ignore responsibilities, stop sleeping properly, stop socializing, etc).

I don't think computers are really comparable to illegal substances, however, because they involve a physical addiction as well as mental--and you go through withdrawals. While a person may feel depressed if they can't use their computer (which is a mental addiction), there are no physical symptoms that go along with that. All you have to do is find something else to occupy your mind. I agree with Angela Morgan that it's really the pleasure that you receive from computer use that is addictive, not the actual computer itself.