jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What are the best sources for Warhammer Lore?

1. JohnGreasyGamer profile image83
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

What are the best sources for Warhammer Lore?

So right now I'm in a Warhammer / Warhammer 40,000 mood and I'm really interested in the different armies (mostly Greenskins and Chaos). I'd like to know what sources are best for the setting of Old World and the different planets. Would I look in the Codexes, novels, or is the internet simply littered with sites that have reliable backstory for me to search upon? I'm not a player, I just love a good read about these fantastic races!

2. Morgaren profile image79
    Morgarenposted 5 years ago

I always liked this article about the Orks, I have verified most of this as true from other sources.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/03/ … aaagh.html

1. Morgaren profile image79
      Morgarenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love Orks, and greenskins, my wife hates that I emulate what I love.

2. JohnGreasyGamer profile image83
      JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just looking at this article now, it's real funny! As for your love of Greenskins, I can't blame you. Even if your wife hates them, it's the one thing she can't take away from you - that green blood that runs through your veins ^^

3. Arioch profile image81
    Ariochposted 5 years ago

Probably for the "original" warhammer the big 8th edition hardback rulebook though I would advise borrowing it as it comes with a hefty price tag, alternatively each army book (or codex as they are called in 40k) offers a wealth of history about that particular race.  A good way to get these is to look on e bay for out of date army book (ie no real use to a current gamer) but generally contain nearly all of the lore of the up to date books.

For 40k I would try to get hold of the old rogue trader 40k rule books it has a lot of lore fun charts and a basic army list for all the current armies plus a few that arent around any more such as squats, again out of date codex's are an excellent way to read about lore for a specific army.

Most of the novels are good but tend to centre on one specific character or race which is good if they are of particular interest several characters started out only in novels are are now part of the game (as well as vice versa).

1. JohnGreasyGamer profile image83
      JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Arioch, I was hoping to stay away from the hardback army book, as it's been £40 for years! But I'll have a look at the other stuff you mentioned. Thanks again as always ^^

working