jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why should I get a Nintendo 3DS?

1. JohnGreasyGamer profile image86
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

Why should I get a Nintendo 3DS?

I've recently bought a Nitendo DS Lite and love some of the games on it, but I'm extremely fond of the sequel to New Super Mario Bros. on the 3DS, and various other games on the console. However I know I'll be supporting a company I know will keep on reproducing its old content until we realize how stupid we are.

So my question is to you, should I get a Nintendo 3DS despite the company not respecting its major selling points? If you own one, does its 3D effect have a good effect? Is it worth the price of $110 / £90?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7134536_f260.jpg

2. M. T. Dremer profile image93
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I don't own a 3DS primarily because I have a medical eye condition that prohibits me from seeing anything in 3D. Having said that, I'll probably get one eventually and just play all the games with the 3D feature turned off, because there are a number of games on the system that I'd like to play. If you think too much about the corporate side of things, what the company has done and will do in the future, it makes it difficult to buy anything. So, just get what you, personally, would like to have.

3. Vitallani profile image78
    Vitallaniposted 5 years ago

I don't own any type of DS, but I have tried a 3DS at a convention once. I personally found the 3D aspect distracting, but you do have the option to turn it off.

Whether you should get one or not depends on how many games there are for it that you want, but are not available on the DS.

If you wanted, you could always save some money by trading in your old DS and then using some of that trade in cash to get the 3DS. Problem is, I don't know if your DS games are compatible or not with a 3DS.

4. WritingPrompts profile image75
    WritingPromptsposted 5 years ago

From my son who has one...

Yes. It has really good 3-D effect, sometimes too good (causing disorientation or nausea). It plays all the "timeless classics" as well as new games.  It plays all the DS lite games and lets you download free games now and then.

From mom...

Our R4 card doesn't work on the new system and there go my efforts to write games for the DS...

5. Danieljohnston profile image87
    Danieljohnstonposted 5 years ago

I sometimes get sick from it, but I have eye problems. However if you do get one you should get the XL. The regular size one cramps my - and my friends, hands.

6. RetroBrothers profile image87
    RetroBrothersposted 5 years ago

If you want to continue DS gaming then yes - less games are being released for the non-3D DS - the older model is gradually being phased out (which is a shame as I have a standard DS!)

I'm still unsure about upgrading to a 3DS

7. JohnGreasyGamer profile image86
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone who answered the question but I found M.T Dremer's post to be the most informative. This has really helped, and I've just this moment purchased a 3DS after playing on a friend's, and enjoying it muchly. With any luck, I'll have a review up about it (and some of its games) and because of you lot, you'll get a worthy mention!

Again, thanks for all the comments, you've been a great help. Any more are welcome to help other 3DS buyers out there ^^

working