jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Which MOBA should I start with?

1. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Which MOBA should I start with?

There a lot of MOBAs on the market now and I'm curious about the genre but I don't know where to start.

2. profile image58
    Baimezanposted 4 years ago

You have 3 main options- Heroes of Newerth, Dota 2 or League of Legends. I suggest you t start with League of Legends, since Dota 2 is more hardcore and has more factors in it. I haven't played HoE, but you can try it out too.

3. Winterfate profile image96
    Winterfateposted 4 years ago

League of Legends is definitely the easiest MOBA. Dota 2 is a LOT harder mainly because it has a lot more intricacies that take a lot of time to learn. I assume HoN is somewhere around near Dota 2 in terms of difficulty.

A search on this very site will show various guides for League of Legends. smile
    (And for Dota 2 I believe as well)

4. Michael Poon profile image93
    Michael Poonposted 4 years ago

League of Legends for sure. If you haven't played MOBAs before, League will be the easiest to learn. That being said, League is still pretty hard to get your head around without any prior MOBA experience.
    HoN and Dota 2 are pretty much the same (since HoN was initially a carbon copy of DotA). You will notice that HoN has a faster pace (since it lacks turn rates and cast animations). But since I like the way Valve handles Dota 2, I personally prefer it over HoN. So if you want a challenge, Dota 2 or HoN would be the way to go. I have a beginners guide to Dota 2 if you are interested.

LoL - easy to learn, hard to master.
    Dota 2/HoN - hard to learn, hard to master.

5. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 4 years ago

I would've suggested Bioware's Wrath of Heroes (set in the Warhammer universe), but that's been long dead so my only suggestions now are DOTA and LoL. I've heard many bad things about the latter's community but those things were from WoW's community, so I'm not sure I'll believe them.

I'd also like to know what other MOBAs are out there, because I'm not too fond of just having two choices, and neither of them are deathmatch MOBAs but rather top-down strategy games.

1. Winterfate profile image96
      Winterfateposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well, it seems to me you want something like Smite? big_smile

(Third person MOBA; probably one of the more unique out of the current line-up of MOBAs).

Also, LoL has more trolls, but DOTA has the more severe community (quick to rage and blame).