jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Advice about doing game reviews on hub pages

1. MetroidFan89 profile image83
    MetroidFan89posted 3 years ago

Advice about doing game reviews on hub pages

Hello! I'm going to do video game reviews on here and a few guides to fighting games. I was looking for some advice about doing so and if I should considering doing a career here for this on hubpages.

2. WryLilt profile image92
    WryLiltposted 3 years ago

I come from a gaming background. I started writing guides and reviews so I wouldn't feel guilty about wasting my time - instead my gaming was "research" haha.

However I found that gaming wasn't the best area to write in, for the following reasons:

-Highly competitive. Both in individual articles and against big game review/guide sites.
    -Articles get out of date quickly, especially if the games are online and get regular updates.
    -Often games get old fast and stop being played, or in cases of online games, close down completely.
    -Very low earning rates as people are there to read, not click adverts.
    -Content isn't evergreen (as relevant in ten years as it is today.)

1. MetroidFan89 profile image83
      MetroidFan89posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I think I'll keep my to writing about guides for characters in fighting games.

3. Zelkiiro profile image95
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

You'd have to stick to reviewing classic games and hidden gems, if you want your stuff to be relevant years from now. It's the same reason my anime reviews are largely for well-known and popular titles from the past, or hidden gems that have been overlooked.

I'm not going to review...er..."Saikin Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga" because it's going to be forgotten next week, if it hasn't been already, and since it sucks so much, I'm not going to unearth it.

And so I'd recommend a similar approach if you're doing video game reviews--talk about the classics, talk about some popular titles, and talk about the great ones left behind.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

For lack of a better word, you need a gimmick. Game reviews are a dime a dozen, so you need something to make yours stand out. Humor is always a great start because if people enjoy your voice, they will read anything you write, even if it's outdated. Personal stories are also good ways to set yourself apart. Explain how you came to that particular game, or a funny story while you and your friend were playing it. These stories also draw people in and form a connection independent of the review. And, also pictures. Any kind of review without pictures is the easiest to ignore.

5. MetroidFan89 profile image83
    MetroidFan89posted 3 years ago

Thank you all for the awesome advice. I can't wait to turn this into my true job. I've done retail and I'm done with it, and I'm in between applying for jobs and starting to get impatient, so I think this will be really good for me.

working