Diabetes Diet – The Delicious Way To Fight The Disease
Diabetes is a lifestyle disease, which research shows can be managed through the consumption of the right kind of foods. Most people suffering from high sugar levels find themselves at a loss, not knowing which foods are safe for them. What are good foods for a diabetes patient?
Here is a lowdown on 5 foods that must be part of every diabetes patient –
- Diabetes and Dessert – It is a myth that diabetes patients cannot ever have a dessert. There is a way for every diabetes patient to indulge in a bit of dessert once in a way. The secret lies in learning to manage the portion size.
All you need to do is a keep tab on your carbohydrate intake when you decide to eat a piece of your favorite apple pie. You cannot be gorging on mashed potatoes and bread and then dig into the pie. Plan ahead and control your carbohydrate intake and you will do fine eating a piece of apple pie.
- Shed extra weight works – Weight appears to be the problem for all our woes! You can manage to control your blood sugar levels when you lose weight. A good way of doing so is by modifying the way you eat. A few changes in your diet can result in burning of excess fat and a slimmer you. Be wary of your carbohydrate intake. If you cut down carbs in your diet you automatically reduce your calorie consumption. For instance, cut down the amount of pasta you eat by half and it will result in weight loss over a period of time. To keep yourself satiated eat whole grain products and include a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. These are natural products that are naturally rich in fiber, have far lesser calories than a big helping of pasta and help keep your blood sugar levels in check.
- The no nonsense diabetes diet – If you think you’ll need to go through a cooking course to change the way you cook and eat to manage blood sugar levels then you’d be wrong. Diabetes diet is about eating the right foods, which here implies to naturally obtained products. Choose whole foods such as whole grains (wheat, oats, barley etc), beans (lima, soy, pinto etc), lean protein (chicken, fish, red meat), healthy fats (olive oil and omega-3 fats from nuts and seeds such as walnuts, flax seeds), fresh fruits and vegetables. If your diet comprises of all the right foods you will be able to successfully manage diabetes. A tip that can work for you is to fill your plate right. Divide your plate into 4 parts – fill one part with lean protein, the second section with starchy products such as whole grain bread or brown rice and the balance two segments with raw, boiled, steamed, baked or lightly stirred fried vegetables.
- Food good for diabetes is also good for the heart – A diabetes friendly diet can conveniently be heart friendly as well. Studies reveal that people with type 2 diabetes are more at risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease than normal people. If you have diabetes you are at higher risk of having a stroke or heart attack. But, the good thing is a diet that works for diabetes helps decrease your risk of heart problems. Eat the diabetes friendly diet for a healthy heart.
- Diabetes diet can be a normal meal –Change the way your family eats by incorporating the above mentioned dietary tips in the food that is set at the table. A diet meant for diabetic patients is something that everyone in the family can eat. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat, beans and pulses, whole grains, nuts and seeds and healthy oils are good for everyone. Let everyone in the family reap from the benefit of these healthy foods.
Remember the key to a healthy diet is moderation. Eat natural products and ensure your intake of high carb foods is limited. Fight diabetes through proper eating habits.
- Healthy Snacks For Diabetes
Snacking on the right foods can help you manage your blood sugar levels. Here is a choice of healthy snacks for those suffering from diabetes.
© 2014 Juana