- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
10 Aromatherapy Options to Ease Anxiety
There are many different things that you can do to ease anxiety. Aromatherapy is one option for people who are seeking natural and alternative cures for their anxiety. Although aromatherapy alone might not cure your anxiety, it can help relieve the symptoms. Typically aromatherapy uses oils that are inhaled to achieve the best effects. However, you can take aromatherapy baths or receive aromatherapy massages. In some cases, aromatherapy products are edible and can be used in teas or soups to promote a feeling of calmness and improve your general sense of wellbeing.
Here is a look at ten different aromatherapy options that might help you if you are suffering from anxiety.
1. Lavender. Lavender is one of the most popular scents used in aromatherapy. It has a number of different healing properties. In particular, lavender is a soothing scent that is able to induce relaxation. One of the most important things that you can do when you are experiencing anxiety is just to relax. Lavender is a scent that promotes your ability to do this. It may be inhaled on its own to benefit you. Alternatively, it may be used as part of an aromatherapy massage to further increase its soothing effects.
2. Chamomile. This is another natural product that is commonly used to calm people down. Many people drink chamomile tea because it is so soothing. It can also be used for its scent alone as an aromatherapy treatment for anxiety. One of the best benefits of chamomile is that the scent can help you if you’re having trouble sleeping. Many people with anxiety suffer from insomnia so this is a very beneficial aromatherapy treatment.
3. Vanilla. Another very popular calming scent is vanilla. Like the others, it helps to promote a soothing feeling in the body. The great thing about vanilla is that it is a light scent that can be combined with other scents. You can add vanilla to other aromatherapy treatments to enhance their benefits.
4. Patchouli Oil. You are probably familiar with the scent of patchouli oil. Once you smell it, you’ll never forget it because it is such a unique smell. Not everyone likes the strong smell of patchouli oil. Nevertheless, it has been shown to have therapeutic benefits for people suffering from anxiety. It promotes a positive mood and a feeling of wellbeing that can be crucial to handling the strain of anxiety.
5. Bergamot. Another uplifting scent used in aromatherapy is the scent of bergamot. It has a spicy, refreshing smell that helps to rejuvenate the body. Many people who suffer from anxiety also suffer from depression. Bergamot is helpful with lifting up the mood for these people. Like vanilla, it can be combined with other scents to enhance their effects.
6. Pine. This is a strong scent that works well for some people who are suffering from anxiety. The strength of the scent allows you to focus on the sense of smell. People dealing with a whirling mind from anxiety may find that focusing on a strong scent helps to calm them. One of the ways that this scent is used is through aromatherapy pillows that can be pressed to the face and inhaled.
7. Sandalwood. This is another strong scent that is used to treat anxiety. It helps with the depressive problems faced by people who are anxious. Many people like the fact that this oil has other natural benefits including boosting the immune system and moisturizing the skin. It is often combined with other aromatherapy treatments, such as vanilla or bergamot, to improve its effects.
8. Cardamom. This is a scent that is used widely to treat a number of different ailments. It is used for everything from reducing nausea to acting as an aphrodisiac. It also has wonderful mental and emotional health benefits that can be useful to people who are struggling with anxiety. For one thing, it is designed to promote an overall sense of wellbeing. For another thing, cardamom is believed to encourage a spirit of excitement for life. It’s an invigorating option for people who want to treat anxiety with aromatherapy.
9. Clary Sage. This is another very uplifting scent that is used to rejuvenate the spirit. People who are suffering from a combination of anxiety and depression often find that this can help snap them out of those feelings to at least a small degree. People who need to feel like life is worth living will find that this scent helps to stimulate that feeling. One of the best things about clary sage is that it can be used in soups and stews. A stew that emanates such a healing aromatic scent is comforting.
10. Rose. Imagine stepping into a huge blossoming rose garden. How do you feel as you inhale the scent of all of those wonderful roses? Most people find this to be joyous and relaxing at the same time. That’s why rose is such a popular scent for people interested in using aromatherapy for treating their anxiety.
Remember that aromatherapy alone might not solve your problems with anxiety. You might want to combine aromatherapy with other natural cures such as herbal remedies for anxiety or behavior modification techniques. If you are suffering from serious anxiety, you may need medication and / or psychotherapy. Aromatherapy can assist you as a supplement to any of these other anxiety treatments. Explore the benefits of aromatherapy on your own or get assistance from a natural healer in your area.