20 Symptoms of Depression
- Does life seem hopeless?
- Do your problems seem insurmountable?
- Do you blame your symptoms on other people?
- Can you think your problems through carefully
and logically, or do you rarely reach a conclusion?
- Do your thoughts race around in a haphazard
way? Are you, in fact, agitated?
- Do you lack enthusiasm and zest for life?
- Are you weepy? Do you find that you cry without
an obvious reason?
- Are your misery, lack of enthusiasm and
feelings of hopelessness greater in the morning than they are later in the day?
- If you have feelings of hopelessness, and a
belief that nobody can do anything to help your situation, have you ever
- If you have considered suicide, have you: a)
Thought that life is not worth living: T might just as well be dead'? b)
Considered if you would end your life? c) If
you have considered killing yourself, have you decided how you would do it? d) If
you have considered how you would commit suicide, have you made any specific
preparations for it: hoarding pills, buying the rope, etc?
- Has there been any change in your appetite?
- If your appetite has changed, has it decreased?
If so, have you lost at least half a stone in weight?
- Has your appetite increased? If so, do you
hanker after those so-called 'comfort foods': sweets, chocolate, puddings, or
any foods with a high glycemic index?
- Do you drink alcohol more or less than usual?
Alcohol intake may vary either way during depression.
- Do you feel no longer concerned with other people's
worries and emotions? Do you find it more difficult than usual to express love
or gratitude to others? Have you or those around you noticed any emotional
- Are you
pleased to see people, or does their presence or telephone call merely irritate
- Have you lost your sexual drive?
- Are you smoking more?
- How are you sleeping?
- Do you: a) Go
to sleep as soon as you put your head on the pillow, but wake again within an
hour or two? b) Find it impossible to get off to sleep? c) If
you have had a wakeful night, do you go to sleep just when it is time to get
up? d) Do you sleep too much? Or find it impossible to get up in the
- 11 Stress Relief Tips for Young Families
Parents are generally kindly. If their child is not as bright and intellectually inquisitive as might have been hoped, they blame it on Great Aunt Susan's genes. It is far more likely that the true cause is...
- 10 Tips for Overcoming Bereavement
These are very similar to those who are overcoming the effects of divorce, except that there is more to be said in favor of widows uniting against the world than there is for divorced people seeking each...