- Quality of Life & Wellness
5 Things To Do To Improve Your Self Image
How you see yourself is very important to a successful life. Having a bad self-image leads to low self-esteem and a lack of confidence, which you need the opposite of both to be successful in a lot of things. Having a good self-image also improves your mood and how you interact with others. You’re less likely to be a pushover and never settle for less. Whether it’s choosing friends or mates, or trying to negotiate a deal, high confidence and a positive self-image will help you win every time. Now that you know some of the benefits of having a good self-image, here are five easy things you can do to help improve it.
1. Take Professional Pictures
(The ones where they make you look like a model.)
- When I mean professional I don’t mean taking head shots at your local target store, or having a friend do it for you (unless they are a professional photographer), but going to a place where a real model would go. Like a place where they do your hair and makeup for you, maybe help you choose outfits, and take a variety of head and body shots. You don’t have to be a beauty queen or a model, but taking professional pictures will help bring out your best look. Looking at those pictures alone will help improve your self-image and your mood.
(At least a couple times a week.)
- Working out has several benefits. It improves your mood, wards off depression, helps you lose weight, and helps you feel accomplished and good about yourself at the end of the day. You don’t need to exercise a lot, but just a little. Even exercising 2 or 3 days a week for 30 minutes will greatly benefit you, and improve your self-image.
3. Always Dress Your Best
(Even if you’re just going to the grocery store.)
- The quickest way to improve your self-image and boost your confidence is to dress the part. I don’t mean go to the store like you’re on a Saturday night out, but dress trendy or fashionable and like you just came from a photo shoot. I feel like when you are dressed with confidence, you really start to feel that way. Also update your wardrobe if it hasn’t changed in ten years, and even dress good when you’re at home. You can still dress for comfort and look your best. All of this will help you improve your self-image because when you’re looking your best, it gives you confidence, and you start to feel good about yourself.
4. Smile and Laugh Often
(Don’t be so serious.)
- I think a lot of people with a bad self-image take things too seriously. Life is what you make it and no matter what situation you are in, things are not going to get any better if you look down on yourself. Don’t blame yourself for anything, remember not everything is the end of the world, if you don’t like something about yourself there’s usually always a way to change it, and if not focus on the better side of you because no one is perfect! Always remember to smile and be jovial. Life’s too short so why not at least have fun while you’re living it! Smiling and laughing improves your mood, your self-image, and brings others closer to you. Even if you don’t feel like it, fake it till you make it! You just might realize that when you act one way, you start to become that way from within.
5. Take Good Care of Yourself
(You’re the only one that can.)
- By taking good care of yourself it’s keeping up with grooming, getting your hair and nails done regularly, keeping up on your regular health checkups and dental exams, staying in shape, eating healthy but allowing yourself to indulge every now and again, avoiding unhealthy habits, not allowing anyone to take advantage of you, and getting out of things and situations that aren’t working for you. The list goes on but when you take care of yourself, your self-esteem skyrockets, you’ll have high confidence, and you will have a great self-image. When you have those three things, there is almost nothing you can’t accomplish!
What do you think will most improve your self-image?
© 2013 Michelle Barnes