- Alternative & Natural Medicine
5 Tips On How To Fall Asleep Without Using Sleeping Pills
So it's 1 am and you're still wide awake! You ask yourself... Why? You could be making simple and obvious choices during the day that are keeping you up at night. You do not need to revert to sleeping pills to get to a more peaceful slumber. Here are a few changes to make in your weekly schedule that can help getting you to a more peaceful night and easier morning!
Do You Have Difficulty Falling Asleep?
5 Tips To An Easier Sleep
- No Caffiene after 5pm - I know many of you just fell off chair or dropped your laptop when you read that and the other half of you find this a pretty obvious piece of advice. However, I have noticed that the most common people who complain about having trouble falling asleep at night are the ones who drink coffee or energy drinks towards the end of their work shift, just to make it through those last hours. What you may not realize is that the caffiene that is getting you through the end of your shift can also be keeping you up at night. It's best to drink water after 5 pm, it will keep you going during the day and bring you exactly where you want to be "sleepwise" at night.
- Cut Down on Sugar intake after 5pm- Another obvious suggestion right? Yet, so many sleep deprived citizens continue to chow down on sweets right before bedtime, spiking up their sugar and getting themselves hyper. Now you're laying in bed waiting for you're sugar high to crash so that you can close your eyes for more than 10 seconds! If you must snack after dinner (like me!) try something less sugary such as crackers, or sunflower seeds! It took me a while to adjust to this method myself, I'm a junk food junkie!
- No Scary Movies- Okay lets hear it from all the tough guys... "Scary movies don't keep me up at night"... In many cases, they do! You may not want to admit it, but sometime you fall asleep fine, but just can't manage to stay asleep throughout the night. Your nightmares may not have anything to do with the movie (or whatever scary thing you saw), but our minds are a powerful thing, and can turn those frightening images into something else. If you do see anything that gives you a shiver try to block it out by watching a comedy before bed, or reading a book or magazine. Anything that will put those images to rest.
- Take a Bath- A calming bath after dinner will completely relax all of your muscles. Add in some lavender bath bubbles or bath salts, play a little peaceful music in the background and this should take you to state of tranquility. A shower can be soothing as well, but I find laying in a bathtub with the comforting aromas in the air will take you right where you want to be before going to sleep.
- Exercise- We all have busy and demanding schedules. Many of us work in conditions that have us sitting in front of a computer, behind a desk, or talking on a phone. However, our bodies crave physical activity! Anything you can squeeze into your day will help you to a peaceful night. Take a walk during your lunch hour, join a gym and at the end of your work day exercise for an hour, chase your kids around the living room, pick them up and play superman, or even run up and down your staircase at home! It may seem like an extra chore, but this will make a tremendous difference in your sleep pattern!
I hope these humble and evident suggestions have helped you to a better sleep tonight!