5 Unexpected Ways to Use Mayonnaise
Where do you sit?
Mayo or Salad Dressing?
Want to try more All Natural Cleaners?
More than a condiment...
With my new passion for "green" cleaning and a more organic lifestyle, I am finding that many of the items we eat have multiple uses around the home. I have found cleaning uses for lemons, vinegar, mustard, salt, and even soda! The more I dig, the more I find that my cupboard and refrigerator double as a cleaning cabinet and I am truly taking advantage. In the past 3 months, I have spent ZERO on chemical cleaning supplies. I have made my own cleaners which have worked fantastically...until I finally met their limitation.....CRAYON. My children believe that they are artists and they proceeded to color every wall in m basement. While I am very angry...It is cute and filled with toddler's first attempts to make letters, so I have left it there for some time. Now, I am over it. I have great pictures to remind me of their talents and it is time to either paint or try something else. I tried the cleaners on the market, the magic erasers, and wonder chemicals and have had no luck. I did have success with a lighter...it melted the wax and made it easy to remove but playing with fire is never a good idea.So, I did what I always do. I plugged in my laptop and looked for a fix....and again, the answer was a staple in my pantry.
There is an age old battle raging between the mayonnaise and salad dressing lovers. My husband was a salad dressing guy and I am all abut mayo. In the beginning, it was a war but It only took me maybe the first year of marriage to convert him so I claim success there. We use it in so many ways. We cook with it, bake with it, add it to dips and sauces-it is a virtual powerhouse ingredient. They are both creamy and delicious and one provides a "tangy"finish. No matter which side you fall on, I bet there are some things you didn't know about your favorite spread.
Here are 5 ways to use Mayonnaise that you may not have known about
1. Household Cleaner - I have recently began making my own cleaning supplies and stumbled upon mayonnaise as a common household cleaner!
- Polish Silver! If you have some dingy silver, simply put mayonnaise on a soft cloth and polish away. Your silver will be squeaky clean and shiny!
- Remove crayon marks! I will let you know the limitations on this for sure! Rub mayonnaise into crayon marks on walls and floors and it should come away.
2. Beauty - Sounds odd at first BUT I have done some of these and it really does work!
- Mani-pedi - Soak your nails in mayo before applying polish to leave them nourished and healthy.
- Rough skin - Lather mayo on any rough patches of skin that you may have. Let it set for about 15 minutes then wipe it away. The mayo should bring dead skin cells with it and leave your skin smoother and enriched.
- Hair Conditioner - Mayonnaise is a true triple threat in this department! The vinegar will exfoliate the scalp, the protein in the egg will promote healthy growth, and the oil will condition you hair and leave it soft and toss-able!
- Facials - Simply use the mayo like a mask and rub it onto your face and let it set for 10-15 minutes. Remove with warm water and enjoy the soft-replenished skin!
3. "Green" health - Yes, your favorite condiment can also help you cure some ailments.
- Sunburn - GENTLY wipe the mayo onto sunburned areas. Let your skin soak in the protein powers and you will get some much needed relief.
- Head Lice! Want to kill head lice without all of the nasty chemicals? Massage mayo into your hair before bed and cover with a shower cap.When you awaken in the morning, wash it out and use a comb to remove any dead eggs. Repeat in a few days is needed.
4. Industrial Uses - I haven't seen my local handyman (my father) carrying around mayo yet but I bet he will after seeing these.....
- Are you a sloppy painter? If you have recently painted and gotten a few drips onto doorknobs, fixtures, or the floor....let mayo sit on the trouble area and it will soften the paint. After about 15 minutes, gently scrub to remove the mayo and take the paint with it.
- Got stickers? Stubborn leftover adhesive can easily be removed by massaging in mayo!
- Water stains on wood? Apply 2-3 tablespoons of mayo on a paper towel and then lay the towel over the stain and gently apply pressure. Leave on for 15 minutes or longer if necessary. Wipe away remaining mayo and rub the stain with a cloth. If it doesn't completely remove the water mark, repeat!
5. Help me..moments - Anyone remember Ross in the leather pants on Friends? Someone should have told him to use mayo to slide those stuck pants right off!
- If your child got their arm caught in a banister don't call the fire department......try using mayo. Lather mayo onto the trapped appendage and hopefully it should slide right out! If all else fails, don't be afraid to call for help!
- Your ring stuck? Give mayo a try. It too should slide right off after applying mayo.
So...maybe this information won't change your vote on mayo vs. salad dressing BUT it may change how you think of mayonnaise. Add it to your sandwich, add it to your cake, and now...add it to your cleaning arsenal!
Do you have any other green cleaner recommendations or a common item that can be used as a household cleaner? Please share!