All About Mangoes
This time I’ll share about one of famous tropical fruit. I thought most of us know this fruit very well. Who doesn’t know “Mango”? Mango is also the most cultivated fruit of the tropical world. Although it has different shapes, sizes, colors, and flavors but in terms of nutrition almost all of them are not quite different. Mango is contains antioxidants to neutralize free radicals that can damage cells and lead to health problems like heart disease, cancer, and premature aging. However, actually there are many benefits from this aromatic fruit.
- Antioxidants. Mango is also a source of beta-carotene, potassium, and vitamin C. Beta-carotene is a substance in the body which is converted into vitamin A (one of the best "nutrients essential" for retinal function). Beta-carotene and vitamin C are also classified as antioxidants, the compounds that can provide protection against cancer because it can neutralize free radicals. I want to remind us about free radicals, free radicals are unstable molecules produced by chemical processes in the body, cosmic or solar radiation, cigarette smoke, and other environmental influences. Antioxidant nutrients, such as: beta-carotene and vitamin C has function to neutralize the free radicals. This antioxidants are widely available in mangoes.
- Vitamin C. In addition it has a function as an antioxidant, vitamin C has a function to maintain and promote health of capillaries, healthy gums and teeth. It helps absorption of iron and can inhibit the production of natrosamin, a substance that can trigger a cancer. Vitamin C could also make the connective tissue remains normal and help the healing wound. Every 100 grams of ripe mango supply as much as 41 mg of vitamin C, a raw mango even up to 65 mg.
- Potassium and stroke. Potassium has a function to increase the regularity of heart rate, activates muscle contraction, and helps blood pressure. Consumption of adequate potassium can the increasing of blood pressure, and freely contribute to a reduced risk for stroke. One study showed that when someone adds a piece of high-potassium fruit into the daily diet, the risk of fatal stroke can be reduced by 40 percent. Extra consumption of 400 mg of potassium every day can reduce the chances of getting heart and blood vessel disease. We can find a lot of potassium in mango. Every 100 grams of mangoes contained 189 mg of potassium.
There are many useful nutrients inside Mango, like: phytochemicals, prebiotic dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, essential nutrients (potassium, copper and 17 amino acids), provitamin A carotenoids. Mango peel also contain other phytonutrients, like: pigment antioxidants (carotenoids and polyphenols), omega-3 and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Nutritional value per 100 g of mango, like: 17.00 g carbohydrates, 14.8 g sugars, 1.8 g dietary fiber, 0.27 g fat, 0.51 g protein, 445 μg beta-carotene, 0.058 mg Thiamine (vitamin B1), 0.057 mg Riboflavin (vitamin B2), 0.584 mg Niacin (vitamin B3), 0.160 mg Pantothenic acid (B5), 0.134 mg vitamin B6, 14 μg Folate (vitamin B9), 27.7 mg vitamin C, 10 mg calcium, 0.13 mg iron, 9 mg magnesium, 11 mg phosphorus, 156 mg potassium, 0.04 mg zinc.
Another benefit of mangoes
- A high content of iron is good for pregnant women and people with anemia. But, don’t too excess, consult with your doctor to get a dose that suits for your condition.
- If you have a problem with clogged skin pores, put the mango slices into your face and clean it after ten minutes.
- If you have any problems with the digestive tract, there is no fruit that can help you like mango. Because of mango contains enzymes that digest protein.
- Mangoes are rich in potassium, so good for lowering blood pressure. In addition, mangos also contain pectin, fiber materials that can lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- Are you trying to gain weight? Put the mango into your daily menu. Mangoes are rich in calories and carbohydrates that increase endurance.
- Some studies shown that consuming mango may reduce the risk of kidney stone formation.
- Mango is also rich in glutamine acid, an essential protein for concentration and memory.
- Mango contains vitamin E which helps improve sex life. Vitamin E is necessary to set up sex hormones.
Mangoes is ready to sell
Healthy with mango juice
Juice is a refreshing drink, everyone really liked this drink. Juice can be made by mixing other fruit, depending on our tastes. But, have you ever made mango juice. If we often drink mango juice will be useful for our health. Here are some benefits by consume mango juice, like:
- Mango juice is rich in fiber. Fiber can make the digestive tract to be smooth. You also avoid the gastrointestinal upset.
- Mango juice can absorb proteins, carbohydrates, and essential fatty acids, and minerals.
- Consume mango juice twice per week can reduce body odor.
- Mango juice could rejuvenate cells, cleanses the blood in the body. So you do not need expensive drugs if you want to look youthful. Just simply consuming mango juice, right!
- Mango juice could reduce excessive dehydration of the body.
- If you want to mix mango and papaya, you will get double benefits. By mixing of these fruits can reduce swelling and inflammation, digestion, blood circulation and fight fever.
Beauty and acne solution by Mango
This fruit give us many benefits, not only mango meat as the main function. But we can use the mango rind as an exfoliation and rejuvenation, because the content of AHA (Alpha hydroxy Acids). “Rub the mango skin gently on face for several minutes, because it can keep your skin smooth and youthful. AHA content can stimulate cell turnover faster, "says Dr. Apratim Goel, dermatologist from India, as reported by the Times of India.
Fried mango rind is the herbal remedies for excessive bleeding during menstruation. Take the green rind of mango, fried in the hot oil and then you can eat this. Repeat until the bleeding was reduced. Mangoes are rich in beta-carotene (vitamin A), which is a source of antioxidants. Not only serves as skin rejuvenation, beta-carotene content also good to overcome the acne effects. Beta carotene is one of the most important nutrients for the skin. These substances are converted by the body into vitamin A and it can be use for ace treatment.
Vitamin A is the key to a bright and healthy skin. If we less in vitamin A consumption can make the skin look dull, dry, open pores, acne and broken skin on the hands, ankles and knees. Phenol and enzymes in the mango is useful to improve the health of skin and hair, control diabetes and improve the body's immune system. Vitamin B3 and B-complex strengthens the hair. Magniferin enzymes beautify the skin and works to fight cancer. Eating mangoes on a regular basis useful to make the skin more softer and more radiant. Mango effective in relieving clogged pores, becuase of anti-oxidants substances and low in carbohydrates. This fruit contains a lot of tryptophan, which helps the formation of serotonin hormone, which produces "happiness boosters".
International Mango festival
This festival held annually in Delhi (India) during early summer. It has been held since 1987. More than 550 varieties of mango are featured in the festival. This event was organized by the Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation and collaboration with the National Horticultural Board, the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority and also the National Horticultural Board and the New Delhi Municipal Council. Notable chefs from five star hotels took part of this festival, they came from Taj Mahal Palace & Tower, Maurya Sheraton, Marriott India, Inter-Continental Hotel. They demonstrated how to make delicious recipes made with mango. This event also completed with fun activities for the visitors, like: mango slogan writing, a mango eating competition for women, a magic show, a quiz about mangoes and a demonstration of mango carving.
Another International Mango Festival will be held on Miami in 2012. It would be fun to join the Miami area's International Mango Festival. As an annual event, the International Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden make this event as an appreciation for the mango in all its varieties. There are several attractions will be held two days during this festival, like: mango auction, a kick-off party, public taste testings, mango workshops, live music, face painting and mango art for children.
Mango and cuisine
Mangoes are widely used in cuisine and we can find a lot of recipes use mango as the main ingredient. Even unripe mango which has sour taste is used in chutneys, pickles, or side dishes. I often eat raw mango with salt, chili, or soy sauce. Mangoes can be used to make juices, smoothies, cakes, pies and sweet chili sauce, and also has function as flavoring and major ingredient in ice cream and sorbets…I love sorbets.
Mango Sponge Cake
Mango Crepes (Crepe stuffed with mashed mango served with vanilla ice crea)
Salmon and mango
Mango Ice Cream
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped.
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (165 ml) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- ¾ cup (185 ml) whipping cream, whipped
- Puree mango and papaya together with lemon juice in food processor, Set aside
- Combine egg yolks and icing sugar in the top of double boiler. Whisk mixture until eggs are lemon-color and thick. Remove from heat. Whisk a further 2 minutes.
- Fold the ruit puree gently into the egg mixture. Blend in cream
- Pour into decorative 4-cup (1 L) metal mold. Freeze for a minimum 3 hours.
- To remove, dip the mold in warm water for 30 seconds. Turn out onto a serving platter or scoop out as ice cream balls.