- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Immunity Boosting Tips
With all of the running around we all do this time of year many of us find ourselves coming down with a cold or the flu. The lack of sleep, rest and poor nutrition are a few of the things that when combined make us the perfect breeding ground for the flu and cold viruses out there looking for a good home. Lets face it, none of us want to get sick.
I hate getting sick. When I do, I find it usually happens at the busiest time of year. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and looked around for ways to keep myself from becoming one of those holiday statistics. You know what I mean. I no longer wanted to be one of the ones who go back to work or school after a holiday, sniffling and sneezing. I came up with a list of immunity boosting tips that helped me out and I hope will help you.
- The body has over 50 million white blood cells that work to protect the body's defense system.
- Lack of sleep can weaken your immune system.
- A weakened immune system is not the cause of a common cold.
- There are four phases of an immune response: recognition, amplification of defense, attack, and suppression.
- Dieting can lead to a weaker immune system by reducing the number of killer cells.
- Laughter induces a proactive immune response that leads to a healthy body.
- Garlic is a natural antibacterial, antiviral and antibiotic food.
- The feet are the only part of the body that does not contain lymph nodes.
- Lemon with honey cleanses your whole system while giving your immune system a healthy boost.
- Arthritis occurs when the immune system attacks the body.
- One of the first reactions of the immune system to infection is inflammation.
- Autoimmune diseases are primarily a woman's issue.
Immunity boosting tips
1. Get the flu shot.
2. Take 100 IU of Vitamin D daily.
3. Take up tai chi. It involves Eastern meditative movement that is said to significantly boost the bodies response to the flu shot.
4. Stay rested. The less sleep you get the more likely you will come down with a cold or flu when exposed to the virus.
5. Keep your feet warm. When your feet are cold it constricts the blood vessels in your upper airways which reduces your defenses against viruses.
6. Scrub your hands. I has been suggested that you scrub your hands front, back and up on your wrist while singing happy birthday slowly. This allows you to scrub long enough to really get them clean and kill any germs.
7. Have an active social life. People who have more friends and get out more are less likely to get sick.
8. Laugh. Laughter increases the cells that attack virsus. Besides its a lot of fun.
9. Exercise regularly. Exercise increases the immune cells in you blood and saliva.
10. Have a glass of wine. I know, this will be a favorite of many. Somehow having a glass or two of wine a day lessens the risk of getting a cold.
11. Enjoy a cup of green tea. This is my favorite. It is said that 6 to 8 cups of green tea daily is enough to lower your risk of coming down with a cold or flu. Green tea comes in many variaties. If you can't find one you like or just plain don't like tea then there are green tea capsules. You can take 8 green tea capsules to help your immune system.
12. Eat products containing probiotics. The most well known is yogurt. Yogurt contains a healthy bacteris that boosts you level of white blood cells to help fight off diseases.
13. Try to avoid stress as much as possible.
14. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
As always, make sure you consult your doctor before you try anything new.
- Top ten immune boosting smoothie ingredients to boos...
Natural ingredients to boost your immune system always generate a lot of interest because it is so much nicer to use natural ingredients to help our bodies fight off infection. These smoothie ingredients can...
- How To Keep Your Immune System Strong
Basically the function of the immune system is to protect the body from viruses, bacteria, fungi, and all other harmful organisms that can enter our body. The breakdown of the immune system begins when toxins...
- How to Build Up Your Immune System: Restore Digestiv...
A strong immune system is essential for good health. It is like an impenetrable army against invading forces . However, if the immune system isn't continually nourished and fortified, it will slowly weaken and...
- How To Improve Your Immune System
We all have learned of the importance of having a healthy immune system. Having a healthy immune system will benefit your overall health and wellness for years to come. Building a healthy immune system is...