The Bra that Can Detect Breast Cancer and Other Ways of Preventing the Disease
The Creation of "Eva"
A Mexican teenager, Julian Rios Cantru witnessed his Mother being diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time. He claimed that the tumor went from having the size of a grain of rice to being the size of a golf ball in a time span of less than six months. By the time of the diagnosis the cancer had progressed to the point where his mother lost both her breasts and almost her life.Getting a mammogram is hard to do in Mexico because there are only 9.5 mammography machines per one million people. After he almost lost his mother to Cancer, when he was seventeen he and three friends established the company, "Higia Technologies". They designed a bra called, "Eva" which has auto-exploration that helps women detect breast cancer. The bra has tactile sensors that monitor the temperature, color, and texture of womens' breasts.The bra contains 200 sensors that spot early indications of breast cancer. A tumor would receive more blood flow to it and therefore would have a hotter temperature than a place with no tumor. So, once the data is taken and put in an app, the woman can review the information. If a change in temperature, color, etc. is recorded for a certain period of time the woman will be notified to see a doctor. You would only have to wear it one hour a week and it could record the data. The bra is called, "Eva" and it won the #1 prize at the Global Students Entrepreneur Awards finals competition when it was competing with 56 student entrepreneurs from 56 countries.
Julian Rios Cantru
Statistics on Breast Cancer
- Breast cancer is the most common non-skin cancer among American women.
- One in eight women will develop an invasive type of breast cancer during her life.
- Men are affected. It is expected around 2,470 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in men in 2017.
- Around 40,610 women in the United States are expected to die in 2017 of breast cancer.
- For American women, the breast cancer has the highest death rates other than lung cancer.
- Around 85 % of diagnoses of breast cancer occur in women who have no prior family history of breast cancer.
How much do you know about Breast Cancer?view quiz statistics
Common Breast Cancer Signs
- skin changes like redness, swelling, or visible differences
- change in shape or size
- discharge other than breast milik
- breast pain
- lumps of nodes found in either breast
Sings of More Invasive Breast Cancer
- irritated or itchy breasts
- changes in color of breasts
- changes in touch like noticing hardness, tenderness, or warmth areas
- peeling of nipple skin
- a lump or thickening
- redness or pitting the breast skin
Things You Can Do To Prevent Breast Cancer
- Do not smoke.
- Keep your weight in line. .
- Get plenty of exercise.
- limit the dosage and time span of hormone therapy
- Avoid being exposed to radiation and environmental pollution.
In conclusion, breast cancer is a highly wide spread and deadly cancer. The most important thing you can do to keep yourself from this disease is have early detection, which is what the new bra is supposed to help with. It is not available to the general public yet. In order to be vigilant about the early detection of breast cancer one can ask their doctor about when to start mammograms and other screenings to try and detect the cancer early on. The bra that was designed is still in a pilot form. However, it is something that should be helpful in detecting early signs of breast cancer which is a terrible disease effecting many women.
I assessed these articles for the blog on May 14, 2017.
- This teenager has invented a bra that detects signs of breast cancer
An 18-year-old man has invented a bra designed to detect signs of breast cancer, an invention he says could save the lives of millions of people.
- Breast Cancer Statistics | Breast Cancer Research Foundation
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide and the second most common cancer overall. It is a leading cause of cancer death in less developed countries and the second leading cause of cancer death in American women, exceeded only by l
- Breast Cancer Symptoms & Signs | CTCA
Get the facts about breast cancer symptoms, which may be attributed to a number of conditions other than cancer. When present, a common early symptom is a lump in the breast.
- Breast cancer prevention: How to reduce your risk - Mayo Clinic
Breast cancer prevention — Find out what measures might reduce your risk of breast cancer.