- Exercise & Fitness
Bring It: P90X Day 10
Welcome to my journey on the P90X workout program. P90X is an extreme workout created by Tony Horton. It isn't a program suitable with everybody, but, for those who are looking to get in the best shape of their life, this might be for them.
I am one of those people who probably start at a lower level. However, I am stubborn and persistent and don't believe in setting myself with limitations. This is my journey. I am attempting to show whether this program is true to its word or just another gimmick we get suckered into. If you would like to start from the beginning of this series, please click here. If you want to read about my previous day with P90X, click here.
Please leaveyour comments below - I have enjoyed going through this journey and the comments push me through each day's workout. Would love to hear your thoughts or your stories as well. Thanks for the support!
Did you see that number up there? That is right... it is now in the double digits. If anything... that is something to celebrate. For the past 10 days I have not skipped even one day of working out. (And I am not crossing my fingers right now either... which if you think about it, would be very difficult to do while typing!) And now, I only have to accomplish hitting the 10 mark another 9 times and I will be through this entire series and looking like I am in the best shape of my life. (or so I have been told!)
Today, I will admit, I almost skipped. My schedule just wasn't working with the whole working out thing. I was up early, to be late last night, and frankly, my energy was waivering. Usually I try to get my workout in right away. That works best for me since I don't have the opportunity to lose my motivation. Today, I had an early Parent/Teacher conference. I think it would have been inappropriate to tell her to reschedule so it didn't conflict with my workout.
That pushed my workout til the afternoon. I will admit, I was feeling a little stressed out not having my workout in yet. Not to mention, I didn't have much energy. But that was my own fault. Who would have ever realized that chocolate cake for breakfast is not a smart energy option. (No lectures - I need to go grocery shopping. I gave my kids the cereal. And I had found leftover cake in the fridge!)
I thought about it, and I seriously considered skipping. And then I remembered my promise. I promised to write about my experience with P90X each and every day. Granted, I am not really sure if there is a whole lot of people who would be "upset" if I skipped one day. But, I made a commitment and I intended on keeping it! So, I grumbled and complained, but I pushed play anyway.
However, today was the shoulders and arms workout. Out of all the extreme workouts, this is probably the easiest (if you don't count stretch X)! At least it is for me. But maybe that is because it doesn't require pullups... I don't have to do even one single push up... and with the exception of the warm-up, there is no jumping required! Yep - I was in heaven! But then again, if you have been following me so far, you already know upper body strength is my weakness!
Breaking out the guns
So, as I was doing my workout, flexing my biceps and triceps and shoulder muscles, I started thinking... "Why is it so important to keep these muslces in shape and looking good?" So, naturally, in my state of zen, I have come up with some very important reasons why you should keep this part of your body looking good.
- Humans can't fly so why do you want wings! A wise woman once told me the reason she worked out so hard was because as you get older, your triceps will start to sag. Now, this woman is in immaculate shape and no one would ever guess her age. But, her motivation is because her mother has very saggy triceps; when she lifts her arms and waves hello, the whole arm wags back and forth giving us the picture of human wings. Well, I don't want wings either. So, I guess now is the time to get those arms toned up and in shape.
- So you can lift heavy things! We can't all do magic and cause things to levitate. We also want to make sure we can do stuff without always calling for help. Got big arms, you can lift that heavy box. So, if you want to be able to do more, lift more weights to get them strong! Believe me, I moved a dryer the other day all by myself. Maybe it was pure stubbornness, but I like to think my arms had something to do with it.
- Because big guns are more intimidating than small ones! So, if you want to show off those awesome biceps, you need to make sure you have someone. If your little bumps look more like BB guns than machine guns, chances are good you need to use some weights. When I invite people to my gun show, I want them to be impressed.
- It can be tank top season whenever you want! Regardless of them time of year, tank tops are a normal part of your wardrobe (for women that is!) It is all part of that layering trend. However, when you are not happy with your arms, chances are good, you are not interested in tank tops either. So, if you want tank top arms any time of the year, get those arms a good workout.
- So you don't have to eat spinach anymore! Think about it. Popeye ate his spinach and it caused his arms to get unnaturally big. Well, if you don't like eating your spinach, grab those weights instead. Sure, they might not be as big as Popeye's arms, but at least they will be looking good!
So far, hitting double digits means that I am only more motivated. I can already see the defination starting to show through on my arms. I have already been receiving comments on how I look. So, after only 10 days, people are noticing.
I am halfway through the week already, a few more tough workouts to go, but so far so good. I am looking forward to Monday to see what the results will be.
Stay healthy and eat your veggies!
Note: P90X is an extreme workout program. You should consult a doctor before beginning this or any other workout program. And remember, if at anytime you feel uncomfortable, stop before injuring yourself. It is much better to know your limitations and be able to workout another day!
To read about Day 11 - Yoga X - click here. Learn about the benefits of adding yoga to your weekly workout regimen, but more importantly, learn how to reap the benefits of nature by taking your yoga outdoors!