Bring It: P90X Day 30
P90X is a to the bones, hardcore workout created by Tony Horton. It isn't a program for everybody. It probably is something only a few would even attempt. Yes, it is that serious. But, if you are serious about your health and you are serious about transforming your body, this might just be the workout for you.
There is no fluff in P90X training. This is all about the basics. There is no fancy moves. All of the moves are old school, but they are effective.
Feel free to leave your comments below. I want to hear from you, whether it is your advice, your struggles or just a quick shout out to say "Way to Go!" This is my personal journey to test the system for you, and the comments keep me motivated. Thank you for participating!
Plyometrics - UGH!
That was my first thought when I woke up this morning. I had struggle through 3 weeks of it in Phase 1 and naturally, that is the one thing that did not change with Phase 2. I haven't been a big fan of Plyometrics. Then again, I am not a big fan of jumping either. But, I did the workout anyway because the P90X workout guide says I have to!
Yet today was different. I felt like I was slacking yesterday in my workout because some of the moves were so advanced, so today I had plans to really stick in to Plyometrics. I took the advice of Tony Horton. I let my mind wander so as I wouldn't focus too hard on the pain. Yes, this is a difficult workout. Your legs will burn. It's a good pain (well, once you see the results!), but this workout still hurts.
Then suddenly it hit me. I was jumping higher. I felt stronger. Wow! I actually kind of liked this workout. It must be growing on me. Which is a good thing because Plyometrics and me have a future together. I am only on Day 30.... 90 is a long way to go!
30 Day Review
So today is the official 30 day benchmark. I thought the celebration would be a little bit better, but because I am trying to get in shape, I won't bake that cake and indulge. The day was just like any other day of waking up and just pushing play. Yet, today I took pictures.
Documenting your results is very important. It helps you see the transformation and get motivated. And if you aren't seeing a transformation, it is time to re-evaluate what you are doing.... are you not giving it your best when you are working out? Are you consistently eating too much of the wrong stuff? There are so many factors and your 30 days is the wake up call.
So one of two things will happen today. Either the blinders will be lifted and you will be pleased with what you are seeing. Or, you are going to be disappointed and realizing you are not putting in the correct amount of effort!
For me.... the blinders were finally lifted! Which is great because yesterday I was a little angry with the lack of results!
The results are in...
When I took the Day 1 picture, I thought to myself, "It really isn't that bad!" Sure, I had weight to lose. What can I say, my body likes to stay were it is. When I get fat (and usually it happens because I got pregnant - 2 years later still struggling with the excess weight), it likes to stay fat. When I get skinny and fit - it likes to stay that way. Who would have known my body was as stubborn as my mind.
Today, looking at that same photo, I cringed. The photo is horrible and I have been wearing my blinders for a long time. I just got used to it. I knew I needed to do something, but I never had the energy or the time. I finally made the time and the energy followed.
Just by looking at the picture, you can see I am not really happy. I am standing with little confidence. After 30 days, you can see the change. My love handles are disappearing and (ok - so I didn't flex for the first one!), you can see my arms and upper body are getting stronger. There has been big changes, even though the scale isn't showing it.
If I had it my way, I would burn the picture from Day 1. I am horribly embarrased. But, I have to show it because I need to show this program is working. So I am putting myself out there for everybody to see. For the past 30 days, I brought it! And for the first time, I can see it.
Is P90X for you?
For the 30 day review, I seriously considered whether or not this program was worth it. I had my doubts. I am an average person and I have weight to lose. For the past couple of weeks, I started having the impression that this program was only beneficial for those who were at the right body weight and just needed to tone. I felt it lacked on cardio and that was the reason the scale wasn't showing results.
Then I saw the difference. A picture is worth a thousand words and this one says a lot. However, I will outline the pros and the cons of this workout!
- It can get a little boring. I am not a fan of push ups, pull ups, lunges and squats. I like to change things up so I stay interested and don't get bored. However, Tony Horton is a hoot. So, I guess if the results are there, that works for me.
- It is time consuming. At a minimum, expect to workout for at least an hour. If you are a busy person, this might not be the workout program for you. It is more beneficial to do something than it is to do nothing. And, if you find yourself constantly skipping, try something different.
- It might be too difficult. As I get further into the program, I am finding more and more moves that are beyond my capabilities. I still try them, but if I can't do anything, then is it really worth it. If you are just starting out, try the original P90X before you go extreme. This is a tough workout, and if you don't watch it, injury can result. You should always practice good form and if you aren't strong enough, you might fail to realize the exercise is wrong.
- It is easy to follow. Every knows how to do push ups and pull ups and squats and lunges. The moves are old school and very basic. There are no fancy moves to test your coordination. After all, we are here to workout.
- It comes with an online support system. If you need help, these are the people to ask. I have been contacted by several coaches offering their assistance. It is good to know they are watching out for me.
- It has proven results. These aren't paid actors. These photos are not touched up. That means it works. When you see it on real people, it seems to mean all the more!
- Modification is key. If this workout seems a little tough, work your way up to it. I have found that with most exercises I can find a way to modify it to work for me. Can't max out on push ups, go to your knees. Can't do high jumping, take out the high impact. Most exercises have a modification move - that means you can cater it to work for you! Just remember "Do Your Best and Forget The Rest!"
Ready to jump on the bandwagon?
I am still torn. I can see the results, but I want to keep going further. After 30 days, can I tell you to get on the bandwagon and buy the program... no. It is a difficult program and very time consuming. That means if you are not serious about getting in the best shape of your life, this will easily become a DVD series collecting dust in the corner.
However, look at the picture. You can see the difference! So, make a decision for yourself. If you want results like that and you are serious, make the time commitment and join me. Together, we can travel the 90 days and transform our bodies and our lives!
Ready for Day 31? You're in luck, click here to read more about my personal journey!