How To Relieve Stress Fast
Stress is what you feel when you have to handle more than what you are use to. Stress can affect everything from our emotions to our immune systems. Some stress is normal but if stress happens too often or lasts too long we can experience serious side affects. When we do experience chronic or excessive stress, our body stays stressed and our hormones levels can be altered. The good news is that we can learn to manage our stress. Here are some fast, easy ways to help manage and relieve stress.
What causes you the most stress?
1. Laugh: Laughter has been shown to lead to reduction of stress hormones such as cortical and epinephrine. When laughing the brain releases endorphins that can actually relieve physical pain. Practice laughing more so you can laugh when you need it most.
Ideas to make you laugh out loud:
- Share a joke
- Be playful with your family
- Read funny greeting cards
- Wear a clown nose when putting children to bed /start a pillow fight
- Ease conflict by saying something light and unexpected
- Seek out companions with a good sense of humor
- Watch or listen to comedy
- Read amusing stories
- Watch a funny movie/TV program
2. Meditate, quiet your mind: Take as little as one minute out of your busy day to meditate. Begin by finding a quiet spot. Then sit in a relaxed position and close your eyes. Now take four slow deep breaths through your nose, focusing all your attention on your breathing. Continue for at least sixty seconds.This one minute meditation is a quick way to clear your mind and reduce your stress.
Top selling meditation CD's:
- Inward Harmony, by Marcey Hamm
- Goddess Chant, by Shawna Carol
- The Silent Path, by Robert Haig Coxon
3. Sphinx Yoga Pose: Lie on your belly, set your elbows under your shoulders and lift your chest up and out. Make sure to keep your chest up, keeping your forearms and pelvis on the floor. Hold for 60 seconds. This yoga position opens the chest to increase intake of oxygen. It also strengthens the core body and stimulates the adrenals.
4. Write: Keep a daily journal of all the things you are thankful for. A gratitude journal will boost your mood and bring peace of mind.
5. Listen to your favorite song: studies have shown that music can relieve stress and increase overall feeling of well-being.
Top suggested CD's for relaxation and stress reduction:
- Best of Silk Road, by Kitaro
- In My Time, by Yanni
- A Day Without Rain, by Enya
6. Drink a hot cup of decaffeinated herbal tea. The soothing warmth of the tea combined with the herbs natural effects, sooth nerves almost instantly.
Top herbal teas for reducing stress:
- Mint tea, spearmint and peppermint
- Chamomile tea
- Ginseng tea
- Lemon Verbena tea
- Passionflower tea
7. Eat a piece of dark chocolate. Research indicates that dark chocolate may lower levels of stress hormones.
8. Hug someone: A simple embrace can trigger endorphins, a natural stress relief.
9. Look at a cherished photo or favorite memento.
10. Surround yourself with colors that lift your spirit.
Top colors for reducing stress:
- Blue is tranquil, peaceful and calm
- Violet represents strength, clarity and wisdom
- Yellow is sunny and cheerful. It's a great color to lift your spirits
11. Fresh Air. If you are indoors all day be sure to take a minute to breathe some fresh outdoor air. You can feel even more rejuvenated by taking a short, brisk walk.
12. Light a scented candle or burn some incense.
Top 3 scents for reducing stress:
- Sandal Wood
13. Take a soothing, hot bath.
Using essential oils in your bath may heighten your relaxation.
Top 10 Essential oils for reducing stress:
- Lavender, Essential Oil
- Frankincense, Essential Oil
- Rose, Essential Oil
- Chamomile, Essential Oil
- Vanilla, Essential Oil
- Ginger, Essential Oil
- Lemon, Essential Oil
- Cinnamon, Essential Oil
- Thyme, Essential Oil
- Basil, Essential Oil
*Use essential oils appropriately and with caution.