Starting An Exercise And Fitness Program-Tips For Beginners
Fitness begins with you
The decision to start exercising is can be an excellent choice. Many people embark on an exercise program and quickly give up because they do not see any immediate results. Or perhaps they discover the exercise they have chosen is not for them and decide to quit altogether.
These reasons alone and many more are often given for not continuing with an exercise program. Starting an exercise program is a life long commitment. Sometimes people will start a program to lose a defined amount of weight and stop working out after they have reached their goal. And ultimately gain that weight back. Choosing exercise as a lifestyle choice is the simplest goal.
All to often people are right back where they started after excerising for brief periods. That is why it is important to realize when starting an exercise program or a new diet, it should be a lifestyle change, a change you want to make for yourself as part as bringing health and balance into your life.
Some tips to get you started
Below you will find several excellent tips to get yourself moving toward a more active lifestyle. Try to think of these tips in the long-term. Something you can see yourself doing five, ten, or even 20 years from now. Imagine how healthy and well you are, and will continue to be as you grow older, being active and enjoying life.
Set realistic exercise goals.
- You are more likely to stick with an exercise program if you set your sights on working slowly towards your exercise goal. Rushing or moving to quickly into your routine will only encourage you to give up.
- Work gradually while doing your exercise routine. Do not try to do too much all at once. Especially if you are just starting out. it takes time and patience.
- Make exercise a regular part of your daily routine. Work it into your daily schedule. Pick a specific time each day and do it regularly at that time. Make it an ongoing way of life.
- Design your schedule for three to seven days a week.
- Work towards 20 minutes to 60 minutes a day of exercise for beneficial results.
If you are exercising in the sweltering summer heat and having problems:
Stop exercising immediately
Rest in a cool place
Remove some clothing
Drink water or some other refreshments like Gatorade
Tips to motivate you
- Think positive- Think how you will look and feel after a good work-out.
- Reward yourself for completing an extra strenuous work-out you thought you could not finish.
- If you are exercising to lose weight, write down the reasons you want to lose weight and read them daily for motivation.
- If you are exercising to lose weight set a goal to lose at least one pound per week.
- Keep your attitude and motivation in check, remember why you are exercising, to feel good about yourself, to get healthy, to stay in shape, to lose weight, to look good, or whatever your reason for exercising is.
- If possible, join a support group, or have a friend join you, you can reinforce each other, to keep each other on track. there are on-line support groups as well.
- One thing to remember, it takes about three weeks for a new behavior to become a habit, so when you start exercising give yourself at least three weeks to see if you will stick with it or not.
- Focus on your technique, learn your new techniques one at a time. Focusing on each workout, this will develop your posture and keep your concentration in line.
Food Plays A Major Part
- Keeping a food journal determines your eating habits-your goal is eating the right kinds of food.
- Eat only when you feel hungry.
- Be sure to write everything you eat down in your journal-be as honest as you can.
- When you feel like snacking, take a walk, read, call a friend, take a shower, do something with your hands besides eating.
- Grab a healthy snack, like a piece of fresh fruit.
- Keep your portions to a reasonable size.
- Use smaller sized plates and bowls.
- Keep your sugar at a moderate level.
- Avoid sugary sodas and juices.
- Limit foods with added sugar.
- Stay away from fast food places, these places have a high calorie intake.
- Avoid diets that are less than 1,200 calories for women. And 1,500 calories for men.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. This can help curb hunger.
- Use a shopping list, you will avoid grabbing items you do not need.
Most of all, enjoy yourself as you get fit.Enjoy moving your body, enjoy the fact you have chosen to get healthy. B sure to pick exercises you enjoy and are able to do without injury. Stick with it and you will be a much happier and healthier you.
Other Hubs You Might Enjoy
- Tips To Give Your Motivation A Healthy Boost
Often times in life are self-esteem becomes low and we lose our motivation. Finding your motivation can be as easy as working out, self-talk or even therapy. The following tips will help you find the motivation you deserve.
- Help For Overcoming Depression
There are many people who have never experienced what depression is. Then there are those that have been touched in ways so intensely, they welcome medication and hospitalization, in the hopes they will find comfort. Not everyone tries to...
- 4 Ways To Improve Your Cholesterol
Do you know what your cholesterol levels are? More that one-half of all Americans have blood cholesterol levels that are higher than they should be. You should have your cholesterol checked yearly after the...
- Simple Tips On How To Stay Healthy
You are what you eat Getting healthy and staying on the path to wellness is an ongoing pursuit for many of us. Maintaining a healthy diet, losing weight, and staying healthy takes commitment and motivation....