Garlic: 5 Other Super Benefits
More Benefits of Garlic
As a food and medicine, the benefits of garlic have been known and used for thousands of years. Garlic has antioxidant benefits which help destroy free radicals - those particles that are known to damage cell membranes, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Further, garlic is used to help prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, improve the immune system and it may also help protect against cancer (see number 5).
Also known as allium sativum, garlic is a species of the onion family, Alliaceae. Its close relatives are the onion, chive, leeks and shallot.
Listed below are 5 more reasons to add garlic to your life:
5 More Benefits of Garlic:
1) In the garden - garlic can be used as a natural pest repellent in the garden. Plant some garlic next to your rose bushes and it will naturally repel insects.
2) Athlete's foot - if you have tried everything, with no positive results or just want to avoid toxic medications, then garlic may be the solution. Garlic may help because it is a very powerful antifungal herb. Boil about 5 cloves for about 10 minutes in at least a quart of water and cool down to a temperature that is comfortable for you. Soak your feet in a large pan. As long as you do not crush the garlic it will not leave an odor.
3) For the Common Cold - garlic has sulfur compounds that help to boost the immune system. While I can swallow a small raw clove, you may want to cook it first. Take 2 unpeeled cloves and microwave for 30 seconds. Cool, peel and eat. This will reduce the raw garlic taste but give you the benefits of the sulfur compounds.
4) Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) - the natural antimicrobial properties of garlic will help fight a UTI as well as cranberry juice. Prepared any way you like, but eaten regularly, garlic offers this benefit.
5) Cancer - it is now believed that garlic's sulfur compounds are beneficial in preventing cancer. Add minced garlic to your dishes. Allow the minced garlic to sit for at least 10 minutes before cooking. It will help the garlic retain at least a third more of its cancer fighting properties.
Fresh garlic is always better than supplements in pill form.
See links below for more healthy lists:
More Healthy Lists
- 4 Amazing Health Benefits of Cranberries
As we finally move away from food products and back to food in its most natural state, we are finding out that fresh food has all the nutritional benefits that we will ever need This includes cranberries,...
- 5 Ways to Pick a Perfect Cantaloupe
Nothing is worse that running home with what you thought was a sweet, ripe cantaloupe - only to find it is inedible. It can be tricky to find a great one and since they do not ripen further once you get home,...
- 8 Super Health Benefits of Asparagus
Asparagus has so many health benefits, it should be added to the healthy diet. Asparagus is great as a detox vegetable, an anti-aging vegetable, and no surprise - an aphrodisiac, and much more. The...
- Chia Seeds: 8 Healthy Benefits
8 Benefits of Chia SeedsChances are you know those wonderful Chia Pets sold every year at Christmas time. Turns out those sprouted pets start out as healthy chia seeds and happen to be super nutritious. Among...
- Top 10 Apple Cider Vinegar Beauty Benefits
There are numerous beauty benefits that come along with Apple Cider Vinegar. It promotes better circulation, gives your skin a healthy glow and acts as an antiseptic. Apple Cider Vinegar is beneficial and...
- 10 Healthy Foods to Help You Lose Weight and Feel Fu...
Historically, food has always been there to keep us healthy. Unfortuntately, the Western Diet has become filled with processed foods that contain partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and...