Happiness is . . . My Favorite Things
To quote a line from one of my favorite movies, The Sound of Music, ". . . these are a few of my favorite things. . ."
It seems that bad news is everywhere. The economy is just not picking up like it seems it should. People are STILL out of work. Money is tight. Unrest overseas is rampant.
By nature, I am not the most positive person around. It is easy for me to focus on the negative things around me. I really have to work at having a positive attitude. So, whenever I find an uplifting quote I cut it out and tape it on the wall by my desk at work. Today I also began a list of things that make me happy.
Here are just a few of my favorite things.
* Babies - human and animals
* A child's laughter
* Seeing wildlife - in the wild
* Falling fall leaves
* Snowy mountaintops
* A good book
* Twinkling Christmas lights
* Hearing a song from my teenage years
* The stars in a clear night sky
* Storms coming across the water
* Growing (and eating) my own veggies
* My cat(s) curling up in my lap
* Finding just the right gift for someone
* Finding and connecting with an old friend on FB
* A funny movie
* Running a category on Jeopardy!
* Saving money on anything
* Positive comments on my writing
* A hug or a smile from my teenage son
* A clean house (especially if I didn't have to do it)
* The first sign of cooler weather after a hot summer
* Birthdays (anybody's)
* Campfire or a fire in the fireplace
* Dark chocolate
Make Your Own List
When (and if) you are feeling blue, make your own list! You'll be surprised at just how many things can brighten your day and lift your mood (or that of someone else). Keep the list handy and add to it as more "favorite things" come along.
Recently, things really haven't seemed to be going my way. So, on my way to work every morning, I list (out loud) the things that make me happy and things for which I am grateful. This really does work to brighten my mood.
My Favorite Happy Website
- Cute Overload :D
At Cute Overload, we scour the Web for only the finest in cute imagery. Imagery that is worth your Internet browsing time. We offer an overwhelming amount of cuteness to fill your daily visual allowance. Drink it in, People!
More Happy Stuff
- Inspirational Quotes to Brighten Your Day
Who doesn't need an inspiring quote to brighten the day? I certainly do. Since January 2011, I've been clipping positive quotes and posting them in my workspace. Here are my favorites.
- Book Review - "The Happiness Project"
Gretchen Rubin's book, The Happiness Project, sums up a year's personal research on how to be a happier person.