Health Benefits And Vitamin D
In the above photo we see a child suffering from rickets which is a softening of the bones due to a lack of absorbing calcium. Sufficient vitamin D is needed to ensure the bones absorb calcuim.
Rickets has been common among children who live outside of the United States. But Oakland, CA have turned up 59 diagnoised children with Rickets since 2000. Although it is still unusal for a child to be seen with rickets, I feel that seeing even 1 child in this condition is to many.
I like most consumers thought vitamin D was one vitamin, but you will be interested to knowvitamin D belong to a group of vitamins . When you see foods that are fortified with vitamin D take a close look at the label, this is known as vitamin D2. This is a different form of vitamin it is an added nutrient.
What exactly is fortified foods ? Foods enriched with calcium.
According to my research I have read the nutritional value is the same whether fortified or not.
There is also a vitamin D3 which is not a fortified and is a natural form of vitamin D which is found in foods such egg yolk. vitamin D. is the sunshine vitamin everyone knows (I will use the term loosely ) there may be some who are unaware that our bodies convert sunlight into vitamin D.
This is an interesting and fact finding process. I hope to do this hub justice by attempting to explain the process, but I am fascinated by the way the body converts sun rays into vitamin D.
Let's Break The Process Into Steps
- The body receives raise from the sun
- Activation of cholesterol takes place
- Cholesterol turns into cholecalciferol (good form)
- Cholecaliferol goes into the liver and kidneys
- Another transformation takes place in the liver and kidney turing cholecalciferol into D25 and dihydroxycholecalciferol D125
- The body begins to utilize vitamin D by traveling through the blood to specific organs such as; brain, skin, bones, and immune system.
- Garbano Beans
- Bok Choy
Vitamin D And Diseases
Vitamin D has the potential to slow the progression of autoimmune diseases; diseases like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, type one diabetes, and people suffering with psoriasis have also found using vitamin D to be beneficial in treating their condition .
Of all the vitamins taking large doses of vitamin D is strongly NOT recommended because of its level of toxicity.
The Sunshine Vitamin
Signs of Deficiency
- Tetany (muscle numbness)
- Hearing Loss
- Slow teeth development in children
- Celiac (indirectly related to vitamin d deficiency)
- Large doses of Vitamin D
- leads to hypercalemia (dangerous amounts
- of calcium in the blood)
Other Hubs on Vitamins
- Vitamin Supplements for Perimenopause and Menopause
As the baby boomers continue to grow older more and more women will need to know the importance of taking Vitamin Supplements for Perimenopause and Menopause. However, every woman should know about...
- Vitamin D Miracle: Melanoma &; Bowel Cancer
Vitamin D is starting to get a reputation. Many people are considering this as a miracle vitamin. Research has looked into how levels of vitamin D, taken from either or both sunlight or oily fish sources,...
- Vitamin D for Menstrual Health
Despite the fact that it is one of the few nutrients the human body can manufacture (with a little help from the sun) more than 70% of American adults are estimated to be vitamin D deficient. This is bad...