- Mental Health
Help your body recover after quitting smoking
So you've finally quit smoking. Congratulations! Now you want to try and reverse some of the damage that has been done to your body. While not all the damage can be reversed there are ways you can certainly get your body back on track to wellness. The following tips will help with a lung cleanse to get rid of the excess gunk that has been piling up in your lungs, a kindey and liver cleanse to get rid of toxins cigarettes have introduced to yoru body and stress relief! This is the most important because if you can't find a new way to manage your stress you will start lighting up again in no time.
1. Time and Fresh Air. This is the most obvious. Give your body time to recover from cigarettes. You will experience better lung function within 3 months and near-recovery of full lung function within a year. This of course is dependent on how long you smoked, how many per day and if you have any serious illness as a result of smoking. This tip helps to cleanse your lungs, kidneys and liver.
2. Mullein Tea. Many herbailist believe that this alternative remedy is a powerful lung cleanser. Mullein is an expectorant, or in other words it is an agent that brings up excess mucus from your lungs. Naturally it is also used as a cough medicine. This tip helps to cleanse your lungs.
3. Licorice. A lot of people smoke in response to the stresses in life. Those stresses may not go away after you quit smoking so you might be tempted to light up again. Reach for some licorice instead. It is thought that licorice helps to improve stress. Like Mullein it is also an expectorant. This tip helps to cleanse your lungs and reduce stress.
4. Exercise! Keep up that exercise regime you started when you were quitting. Exercise reduces stress and keeps you preoccupied so you won't be tempted to light up. This tip helps to cleanse your lungs, kidneys, liver and reduce stress.
5. Green Tea IsLove. Green tea has powerful antioxidants to kill off the free radicals that smoking has introduced to your body. This helps to reduce the chances of developing cancer. But watch out! Greentea has lots of caffine so don't drink this before going to bed.
Most of all be kind to yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you slip and have a cigarette. Every day is a chance to turn it all around. Goodluck!