- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Home Remedies To Control Hair Fall
It is normal to shed a few strands of hair every day, but if the hair fall is causing your hair to thin, then it is a reason for concern. Hair fall can be arrested, if you take prompt action. Practice the following home remedies to control hair fall.
Coconut Milk & Lemon Juice
- Combine ¼ cup of pure coconut milk and the juice of 1 lemon making a homogeneous mix.
- Part the hair and apply the mixture on the scalp, covering the whole head.
- Leave the liquid to dry, and wash off using a mild shampoo.
- This treatment prevents hair loss, improves hair quality and fights dandruff.
- Eggs are a great source of protein and known to nourish the hair.
- To prepare the egg mask, beat 2 eggs along with 2 tbsp of olive oil and a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Blend the mixture well and apply it along the roots of your hair.
- Rinse the hair under running water after ½ hour and wash using a gentle shampoo.
- The mixture is a powerhouse of nutrients that prevents hair fall and strengthen the roots.
- Do not rub in the mixture – part the hair and gently dab the mixture on the scalp.
Benefits of Egg and Olive Oil Hair Pack
- Eggs are naturally rich in nutrients that promote hair growth.
- Olive oil is used extensively in commercially available hair-fall products because of its special properties that control hair fall.
- Lavender essential oil controls hair fall and promotes hair growth, while masking the strong odor from the eggs.
Egg White Mask
- If, you averse to the smell of eggs, you can use the egg whites alone.
- Egg whites need to be whisked with a few drops of Rosemary essential oil and ½ cup of castor oil.
- Apply the homogenous mix to the roots of your hair.
- Gently wash the egg whites after 45 minutes with a mild shampoo.
- Ayurveda, the ancient Indian school of medicine recommends the use of fenugreek seeds to control hair fall.
- Take a cup of fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight in raw milk.
- Grind the seeds to a fine paste and apply it to the scalp.
- Leave the paste on for an hour and gently wash the hair.
- Repeat this process once a week.
Care While Using Fenugreek Paste
- Shampoo the residue with a mild shampoo.
- The fenugreek particles will not wash off completely. Don’t let this bother you, they fall off once the hair is completely dry.
- Remember to step out into the porch or garden while your hair is drying, unless you want small bits of fenugreek soiling your place.
Use of Fenugreek Paste for Revitalizing Hair in the Sub-Continent
- Women in India are known for their luxuriant hair.
- They boil fenugreek seeds in coconut oil and massage the oil on their scalp to arrest hair fall.
- This is an effective, safe and herbal method, of controlling hair fall.
- Hibiscus or shoe flower is particularly beneficial for hair growth.
- Collect the petals of hibiscus flowers and run them through a blender.
- Apply the paste to the scalp.
- Leave on for ½ hour before rinsing.
- The residue left in the hair will fall off when it is dry (in about an hour or so).
- Alternately, mix a few drops of castor, olive or coconut oil to the paste before applying to the scalp.
Benefits of Hibiscus
- Hibiscus is known as 'Jabakusum' in the Indian Sub-continent region.
- The flower promotes hair growth and prevents hair loss.
- Regular use of hibiscus hair pack makes the hair soft and lustrous.
- It also prevents premature graying.
Aloe Vera Mask
- Aloe Vera pulp has soothing property, and used for many skin conditions.
- It is a natural moisturizer that prevents hair follicles from drying, causing hair fall.
- Scrape the pulp off a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and apply the gel to the scalp.
- Rinse off after 1 hour.
- The humble yogurt is an excellent hair rejuvenator.
- You will need unflavored yogurt for this.
- Use a fork to blend the yogurt, add 2 tbsp of oatmeal powder to prevent it from being runny.
- Apply the paste to the roots and leave on for 1 hour.
Setting Fresh Yogurt at Home
If you do not have fresh yogurt at home using the following procedure –
- Take a cup of warm milk - it should be slightly warm, not hot.
- Drop a green chili, or the stem of a chili into it.
- Cover the milk and leave it to set in a warm place for 12 hours.
- You will fresh yogurt in 12 hours.
- Wrap a steamed towel around your hair while applying the above packs.
- Steamed towels help to open the pores and allow easy absorption of the nutrients into the scalp.
- To use a steamed towel hold the ends and dip the center in hot water.
- Wring the excess water and wrap the towel on your head.
© 2014 Juana