- Aging & Longevity
How to Choose an Assisted Living Community in San Diego
San Diego California is a popular place to retire. With its year-round warm weather it ranks among the top 10 places retirees want to live, but as the senior population ages the need for assisted living in San Diego is on the rise. Trying to sort through all the decisions that need to be made can be challenging with so many options available for assisted-senior living.
Different Levels of Assistance
One of the reasons it can get confusing and even scare some seniors from considering assisted living is that mentally they imagine a nursing home scenario where they no longer enjoy any level of independence. The fact is that the term assisted living, in general, refers to a living situation where assistance is offered to seniors who need help with day-to-day activities. The level of help is determined on an individual basis.
- In-Home Care: In-home care is a popular choice for people who own their own place and want to stay there. Assisted living arrangements can be made with a professional caregiver to visit regularly in order to help with hygiene, housekeeping, meals, running errands, administering medications, and more.
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities: Living in a Continuing-Care Retirement Community (CCRCs) like the Redwood Terrace in San Diego lets seniors retain their independence while getting the assistance they need. Along with meeting present-day needs, it also includes a plan for future needs by offering nursing home care in the same location, so as needs change and seniors require higher levels of care they can stay in a familiar setting around people they have come to know.
- Apartment Style Living: Another popular housing option offering assisted living is apartment style living. What equates to an "apartment" will differ from one facility to the next so it is wise to actually go see the housing arrangements first hand. Some apartments have a small kitchen, but most of these facilities offer meals in a group dining area as well provide a common recreational area where residents can get together and socialize.
- Memory Care in San Diego
When people suffer from progressive memory loss, eventually it becomes unsafe for them to live unsupervised. Along with supervision, they will also gradually need more assistance with day to day activities as well. Whether you care for the person you
- Elder Care Options in San Diego
When looking at elder care options in San Diego, it is best to take into consideration both short-term and long-term needs.
- Different Types of Senior Housing in San Diego
For those whose heart is set on senior housing in San Diego, the best approach is to identify what is important to you in order to narrow your search.
Choosing Assisted Living in San Diego
If you're considering assisted living in San Diego it may help for you to arrange for a professional assessment. This can be obtained through your medical team or a geriatric care manager. The assessment will address day-to-day concerns that may otherwise be overlooked. Their services can also be used for interviewing in-home help, and with their specialized knowledge they are able to make recommendations for assisted living facilities in the San Diego area.