How to Improve Focus and Concentration
In these times of stressful hours at work, political and domestic instability, economic upheaval and terrorism all over the globe; The task of keeping focused on anything, for any period has become a major problem. More than ever, students are complaining of a loss of concentration and interest in studies. Employees, although putting in double their usual hours, admit to a decrease in productivity. More and more children and adults are suffering disorders related to attention deficit. Psychological issues resulting from the overall atmosphere of insecurity and distrust, add further to inattention and distraction. For success in life and living, these troublesome barriers must be crossed. Whether you are a student, a young entrepreneur, a rising professional, a housewife, a seasoned businessman or an executive; and whether you are in the prime of your career or retired; You absolutely must regain your ability to focus on the task at hand.Your peace of mind and your life quite literally depend on it.
First and foremost, make your mental life as simple as possible. Air all toxic thoughts and feelings and get rid of any poisonous relationships that you may have in your life. Its easier to navigate your way through clean and paved roads, so work on discarding the clutter that may be contaminating a healthy mind.
Relaxation and Meditation
The most important tool to help you focus is a calm mind. To achieve that you must take action. And the best action is to make yourself sit still for a set amount of time everyday. Reschedule your appointments, unplug the phone, switch off your mobile phone, power off your computer...basically shun all outside distractions so that you only have your own thoughts to deal with. Learn a relaxation technique and/or a meditation technique so that you can have a step-by-step guide to proper methods of relaxation. There are a number of tapes and books available on the subject. Including some cool meditation music and binaural sounds that make you seamlessly glide into a state of meditative trance. All the techniques and guides teach you ways to concentrate your mind. Very useful in conducting the business of life!
Mental Workouts and Focusing Techniques
These tips, tricks and techniques provide a quick-fix when attention is waning (some aren't quick but help in the longer run)
- Memory games are an excellent resource. Look at all the things on your dresser for a minute and then recall them with your eyes shut. Play memory games on the phone or your computer.
- While working on a task that requires your full concentration e.g studying for an exam or an assignment, bracket all the unnecessary thoughts for a later time. For instance if your mind starts wandering in a favorite direction, you can decide that you will attend to that thought in say 20 minutes. For the next twenty minute s forget everything and focus. After that DO attend to the thought. Don't try to trick your mind by forgetting about the matter altogether. Its YOUR mind and it stops behaving when cheated.
- Close your eyes for five minutes and listen to all the sounds you can hear. The loudest and the faintest. Concentrate on naming the source of each sound. Do this everyday and repeat when stuck in distracting thoughts.
Mindfulness entails living fully in the present moment. Noticing every single sight, sound, taste and texture you come across. This exercise works wonder at teaching the mind to focus, and its also a way to overcome other psychological problems, such as anxiety and depression.
- 10 Things You Can Do to Beat Anxiety and Panic
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Panic Disorder usually hit a person out of the blue, although the root-cause of the problem may be older,...
- Heartache: How to Mend a Broken Heart
Amy doesn't show up at work. Calls in sick and becomes incommunicado. Colleagues and friends are worried as it seems out of character for Amy to lose touch like this. Amy doesn't want to open her eyes and...
- Systematic Desensitization: A "How-To" Guide
Systematic Desensitization is a technique employed in Psychotherapy to treat Phobias and Anxiety and related disorders e.g Social Anxiety and phobia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Panic...
- How To Say "No" When You Want To Say "No"
Ever thought about what is the one word that causes you to cringe the most, when you have to say it? Yes, its NO!!!! Saying NO is probably the most difficult thing to do, even when you want to,...