- Mental Health»
- Anxiety Disorders
I admit it! I have a phobia. Actually, I have more than one phobia, but today I would like to address the one that has plagued me for so long.
Recently RKHenry shared a hub of his about sharks. I enjoy many of RKHenry's hubs, and I thought -- "well, I'll have a look. It's been some time since I tested my fear and I suppose I must be better now." So off I tottered to his hub. And I nearly threw up.
Yes indeed. I am intensely fearful of fish. It's a real phobia (called ichthyophobia) and it's more common than many people would believe.
To illustrate, I tried as hard as I could to find a picture of a fish to put on this page. I tried sharks and had to look away immediately. I tried other fish and nearly fainted. I finally settled for a nice, safe picture of a sea-turtle.
What about you?
Do you have a phobia?
What is a Phobia?
A phobia is an irrational fear of a thing. The fear is usually excessive, such as my fear of fish. I begin to feel insecure and unsafe even looking at a picture of a fish, and I can't fathom watching the movie Jaws (which my husband jokes about). A "normal" person can't even begin to understand my problem.
- When we go into a pet store, I have to avoid the fish section. If we don't, I break out in a sweat and my breathing gets quick.
- When watching TV, I am always on the lookout for commercials with large, live fish in them. I feel faint when this happens.
- Going fishing is out of the question.
- I don't like to swim in the lake or ocean for fear of being touched by a fish.
- Images of Coral Reefs are only beautiful if there are no fish in the picture.
In my case, I am overwhelmed by the presence and appearance of fish. My symptoms include shortness of breath, faintness/dizziness and extreme anxiety.
I cannot describe the emotions I associate with fish except that I experience extreme fear. I don't think that a picture is going to "eat" me and I know that the lake isn't full of Great White Sharks. Nonetheless, I struggle with the things listed above.
If you have a phobia (especially a strange one!), you are not alone!