Meditation Techniques for Stress and Anxiety
Meditation is a method to transform the mind in a positive direction. Meditation techniques help to relieve stress and anxiety. It is some kind of a spiritual experience, which helps to concentrate on your inner self. It has three stages. They are concentration, meditation and absorption. To start with an individual starts to concentrate on an object. After concentration it turns to meditation and then to absorption (dhyana). According to Hindu philosophy, meditation leads to self realization or self awareness.
Psychotherapists of the modern day have realized the therapeutic benefits of meditation. Meditation techniques help to cope up with the stress of modern day life. Even though it is a part of many religions it is not a religious practice.
Forms of Meditation
There are several meditation techniques. Some of the easy to follow methods are
· Concentrative meditation
· Mindful meditation
· Simple mantra meditation
· Walking meditation
The steps to follow for this technique are
1. Sit in a quiet place
2. Close your eyes
3. Focus your attention on the rhythm of your breathing
4. Whenever the mind strays bring it back to focus
This has to be practiced for 5-30 minutes, once or twice a day. To start with it can be for 5 minutes. The time can be increased gradually. Concentrative meditation is the easiest method of meditation.
The methods to follow for this meditation technique are
1. Sit in a quiet place either on the ground or on a chair.
2. Don’t concentrate on anything specific
3. Try not to think of anything that happened in the past or of anything in the future
4. Just simply make a mental note of whatever comes to your mind.
5. Be aware of your breathing
Simple Mantra Meditation
Some people need to repeat a phrase (mantra) continuously to bring the mind to focus. Sit in some quiet place. Choose a word or phrase that you like. Keep repeating the word continuously with full concentration. The repeated chanting will help your mind to focus.
In this technique body is involved. This meditation method will have to be practiced walking in quiet place, with no distractions. When you are walking you have to focus your mind on an object.
The best posture to meditate would be sitting on the ground and making yourself as comfortable as possible. It is better to sit cross legged. You can also sit on a comfortable chair and meditate.
Meditation is highly beneficial to mental and physical health of a person
1. It leads to better relaxation
2. Stress levels come down as a result of relaxation.
3. It decreases both oxygen consumption and respiratory rate
4. It slows the heart rate down and increases the blood flow to the heart.
5. It is highly beneficial to heart patients as it brings down blood pressure.
6. Reduces anxiety and emotional stress
7. Improves general health
Try these simple methods. It will make a huge difference in your life. Initially you may find it difficult. But persistence will help. After a few weeks of practice the ability to concentrate will improve. You will feel more relaxed as the stress levels plummet. These meditation techniques will help you to get rid of stress and anxiety.