- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Is there a Natural Cure for Vitiligo?
Genetic predisposition is believed to be a main trigger of vitiligo (leukoderma). Heredity works against those with vitiligo-related genes. Approximately 30% of affected children have a family member with the disease. While vitiligo does not cause any actual harm to the skin, the social stigma that it can bring upon the person can be absolutely crippling. Affected people will be hoping and looking for a vitiligo cure.
Unfortunately vitiligo is a condition in which the sufferer can easily develop depression. Vitiligo may lead to a person being excluded from his usual social circle. There is no logical reason for others to be afraid to be around someone with this condition but they will still feel awkward and may avoid the person completely. Medically speaking, vitiligo cannot spread the same way contagious skin conditions spread. Even though the person's skin appears blotchy, it is not a fungal infection that another person could touch and transfer. A person with vitiligo has perfectly healthy colorless skin.
Food and Diet Tips for Vitiligo Patients by Dr Rajesh Shah, MD Homeopathy
No singular natural cure for vitiligo such as a single herb to apply to affected areas exists. This does not mean that this skin condition has to destroy your life and cost you a lot of money in treatments. There are natural ways when used in combination that can slow down disease progression. Some seriously dedicated vitiligo patients have been able to halt the spread of depigmentation by carefully controlling multiple various triggers.
If you have the resolve and willpower to do what it takes to take control of your vitiligo, here are very important issues to consider:
1. Stress has been shown to be a huge factor in the development of vitiligo. It certainly stands in the way of a vitiligo cure. If you feel your stress levels have been high recently, stress could be the culprit. You need to take control of your stress.
One of the best ways to tackle stress is to decrease or eliminate the stressors. If you cannot find acceptable ways to eliminate the problems, you must come up with ways to stop exposure to more stress and relax when away from the stressors. Try adding exercise or meditation to your life and see the difference.
Coking with Stress by Jason Satterfield, Ph.D.
2. Food allergies are a known trigger for vitiligo. To help avoid food allergens in general, try to stop eating processed foods like packaged cookies, potato chips, and sodas. Foods with a lot of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives are a major problem. Cook for yourself from fresh foods rather than warming something from the grocery store’s frozen food section. It requires more effort but can really make a positive change in your skin.
If you are worried that you could have a specific food allergen like wheat or tomatoes, consult a physician who can help you determine if you are correct. You could find that your vitiligo cure will include avoiding certain foods in order to bring your vitiligo into better control.
3. Strive to eat a balanced diet. Ideally, you should have fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and protein every single day. No exceptions. A high antioxidant intake can really help with control of your skin condition. Add color to your diet through various fruits and vegetables to increase your antioxidant intake.
Natural Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Meats such as beef and pork are not highly recommended for vitiligo patients but can be consumed in small amounts. Protein should come from fish and other sources such as legumes. Once you become used to eating fish and other protein sources you will find the change is worth it. Fish does not cause the inflammatory, allergic reaction in your body the way pork and beef do. Oily fish such as mackerel or salmon are especially high in antioxidants. These antioxidants will be good for your skin.
4. Beware of environmental exposures. Chemicals at work and at home can cause problems and lead to a flare. Cosmetics, perfumes, and personal care items can irritate and inflame skin, leading to more vitiligo. The natural cure for vitiligo is to avoid these exposures whenever possible.