- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Setting and Achieving Goals every 3-6 months
A Realistic Way to Set Goals
All of us, at one point or another, feel we need to accomplish more. Sometimes it's because we are lacking in certain areas of our life, be it:
- time spent with children
- quality time w/ our spouse
- ordinary things: organizing/cleaning
- taking up a new thing: crafting/sewing
"Variety is the Spice of Life"
So they say. Now for me, I like to organize my thoughts and dreams and goals. This seems to me to be the only way for me to stay focused and achieve things. Even when I do this I need to remind myself by posting it on the refrigerator and I must limit my goals at one time to three. Because otherwise I become overwhelmed and it just won't happen!
So, how can I help you set goals?
- think of what you want
- think of what you'd like
- think of what you need
Going by those simple steps, I can already think of my three goals (relating to each point, in order:)
- I want more fun
- I'd like more friends
- I need better health
Then describe each one like this:
- I want to set aside $ and time [as well as reasearch] to do things like going to a local fair, finding my local gym and going for the day to steam and relax, etc. These are actual things I'd like to do and brainstorming really helps me to grasp the idea.
- To acquire more friends, since I'm new to the area, I will find a local Church and go every week, I will join www.meetup.com to find people in my local area who have similar interests.
- For my health, I will walk daily and then work up to more.
How good at you at setting goals and following them?
Not so hard, eh? I know the whole idea of Setting Goals seems really simple, but is it? And would you be successful if you didn't have a coach? Which reminds me of Life Coaches. My friend is one, and after writing this article, hmm maybe I could be one, what do you think?!
I hope this helps you, and remember, it all starts when you take out a notebook and just write....for those of you on hubpages, you surely know what I'm talking about! :-)
Also, remember, if you don't achieve every goal you set, it's okay. Don't beat yourself up. There's always next time to try again. The idea is to remind yourself and not forget. We often forget our goals when busy with life and some of us, many, like me, forget unless we write things down!!
So, every few months or so, Make a new list and see where it takes you. Remember to be successful, no more than 3 or even less- one at a time may be sufficient.
Last of all, get a life coach, or personal trainer at the gym, or friend to remind you.