- Women's Health
Supplements Relieve Menopausal Symptoms
Menopause affects all women at some point in their life, generally around 45 to 55 years of age. Basically, menopause occurs when the ovaries stop producing and releasing eggs and when the body starts to produce less estrogen and progesterone. During this time in a woman's life, a women may experience many different symptoms and discomforts, but for each woman, the degree and the exact symptoms will vary.
The symptoms of menopause may vary per women, but common symptoms of menopause will include:
- Decreased libido
- Heart palpitations
- Hot flashes
- Irregular periods
- Joint pain
- Memory loss
- Mood swings (anxiety, depression, irritability)
- Night sweats
- Painful intercourse
- Skin flushing
- Trouble sleeping
- Urine leaks
- Vaginal dryness
- Vaginal infections
Supplements for Menopause
Different women will be affected by menopause differently, so different supplements may affect women differently. (I know the use of 'different' is repetitive, but there is so much variation in human medicines.) Just make sure to follow the directions carefully, as some herbs and supplements can be potent.
- Black Cohosh- This flowering plant contains phytoestrogens that work like natural estrogen to produce lubrication to the vagina, regulate temperatures, and help strengthen bones. This supplement is thought to help women who suffer night sweats, hot flashes, depression, and anxiety. It's recommended to take black cohosh up to twice a day for no more than six months; do not take this supplement for extended use, as it may cause liver inflammation.
- Dong Quai (Chinese Angelica)- The herb contains phytoestrogens, as well as vitamins A, E, and B12. The herb helps to relieve vaginal dryness and hot flashes, as well as help to reduce mood swings and stress. You can either take 400-600mg daily in the form of a pill or steeped in hot tea.
- Maca Root- This root doesn't contain estrogen but adaptogen, which helps balance the body's hormones. The root contains high levels of calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and vitamins B1, B2, B12, C, and E. The root is suggested to be used by women entering menopause as it balances estrogen and progesterone, which can reduce hot flashes, vaginal dryness, restore sex drive, decrease memory loss, and reduce odds of osteoporosis. Take about 900mg of maca root daily, either by a pill 3 times a day with meals, or boiled for tea.
- Red Clover (Cow Clover, Bee-Bread, Purple Clover)- This plant is a premium source of phytoestrogens and has been deemed a cure-all for menopausal symptoms. The plant contains calcium, magnesium, niacin, potassium, and vitamin C. The plant can reduce hot flashes, mood swings, as well as reduce bone loss and prevent heart disease. Take about 400-500mg of red clover daily in a pill form.
Other supplements that you may want to consider, may include:
- Calcium- bone loss
- DHEA- hot flashes and low libido
- Evening Primrose Oil
- Flax Seed- hot flashes and night sweats
- Folic Acid
- Ginseng- hot flashes, mood, and fatigue
- Inosito- mood and fatigue
- Soy- hot flashes
- St. John's Wort- mood swings and depression
- Vitamin B12 and B6 vitamins- mood swings
- Vitamin D- bone loss
- Vitamin E
- Wild yam
Herbal and Home Remedies
- Natural Remedies and Herbs for Women's Health
- Aromatherapy for Women's Health
- Acupressure Relieves Menstrual Pain and Cramps
- Acupuncture Points Used to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
- Important Vitamins to Prevent Osteoporosis
- Vitamins and Supplements Relieve Osteoporosis Symptoms
- Home Remedies for Yeast Infections
- Herbal Remedies to Grow Long Hair
- Aid Anxiety with Chinese Herbs - Natural Treatment for Anxiety
- Natural Supplements to Battle Holiday Depression
- Cure Holiday Blues and Anxiety with Supplements
Disclaimer: Please be aware that the advice in this article should in no way replace that of a licensed physician. If you have any questions, please consult your doctor to find the best method to soothe your symptoms of PMS, pregnancy, or menopause, or assist in fertility concerns.