The Unlisted Side Effect of Prescription Drugs -Reduced Nutrients
Pharmaceutical Drugs Deplete Nutrients
Americans are using more legal drugs than ever - both prescription and OTC (over the counter). What hasn't been revealed about this heavy drug use is that many of these drugs are wiping out the most vital nutrients in our body.
How many prescription medications are used?
More than half of all Americans are taking prescription medications. This means more than 150 million people use these synthetic drugs according to a recent article in the Energy Times. Further, with more than 960 million visits to a doctor's office each year, 70 percent of those visits include the doctor writing a prescription.
Surely, all side effects are listed?
There is no doubt that Americans are heavy users of prescription drugs despite side effects that often lead to an impaired quality of life and even death. While side effects are supposed to be listed on all drugs now, one more serious side effect is not listed at all. And that is the ability of these synthetic drugs to wipe out the necessary nutrients our body needs for survival.
Can we make up the difference with our diet?
Our Western food supply is industrialized. Most Americans are eating a diet filled with processed foods. Our fruits and vegetables are often GM (genetically modified) meaning that we cannot tell if the food is fresh since it is designed to last. Additionally, soil is often nutrient-depleted. Add to that our own poor eating habits. In the American diet we are getting very few nutrients to begin with.
Can you give some examples?
- Pain Killers - the very commonly used OTC pain-killer, ibuprofen, depletes Vitamin C, iron, zinc and folic acid.
- Birth Control Pills - including Ortho Novum Pyridoxine, depletes Vitamins C, B-6, B-9, and magnesium and zinc.
- Both Antidepressants and Beta Blockers - deplete the very vital CoEnzyme Q-10. According to the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University, CoQ10 has antioxidant properties and is vital for counteracting damage caused by free radicals. It is also beneficial for preventing neurodegenerative diseases, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and atherosclerosis.
- HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) and Estrogen Replacement Drugs - both deplete Vitamin B-6.
- Antibiotics - while we have long known that antibiotics like penicillin, can deplete necessary bowel flora, it is now known that it also depletes Vitamin B-6, B-12, Vitamin C and folic acid.
There are many articles on the internet about the depletion of nutrients due to pharmaceuticals. More prescription drugs are regularly put on the market. It is up to the patient to ask the doctor about these side effects and do your own research.
Is it all hopeless?
No, it seems many Americans are demanding change and the medical profession is responding - with treatments that are not invasive, and may not include the constant use of prescription drugs. Even the Mayo Clinic has introduced CAM - Complementary and Alternative Medical practices - as part of their conventional practices. You can also find additional information at the Nutritional Health Alliance: nha2010.com
Further, Americans are taking control of their health and seeking alternatives before starting on prescription medications. For some CAM suggestions and healthy eating ideas, please see the links below. As always, prevention is best.
Some Alternative Therapies
- A List of Uncommon Alternative Medical Practices
CAM, or Complementary and Alternative Medicine is becoming more popular in the U.S. As we seek less invasive and toxin-free medical care, many new healing therapies are being introduced. Some work...
- 10 More Uncommon Alternative Medical Practices
This is the 2nd list of uncommon alternative medical practices. Known as CAM, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, these practices continue to grow in the U. S. because they are less invasive and tend to...
- What is Humor Therapy?
Have you ever heard of laughter yoga? It is all part of the rapidly growing field of alternative therapies. Laughter yoga was created over 15 years ago by Dr. Madan Kataria, a doctor from Mumbai, India. In...
- About Korean Hand Therapy
When I lived in Seoul, South Korea, I had the pleasure of being exposed to Korean Hand Therapy. This therapy is also known as Koryo Hand Therapy, KHT, Korean Hand Acupuncture, or Sooji chim. I had the most...
- What Are the Energy Therapies Used in Medicine?
Energy Therapy is a part of the medical practice known as CAM or Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Energy therapy is based on the belief that the use of natural energy fields can promote good health...
Some Healthy Eating Tips
- 12 Herbal Teas with Healthy Benefits
Herbal teas are also known as tisanes* and herbal infusions. Herbs have long been used in traditional medicine, and as a tea, is often prescribed by herbalists. If something ails you, there may be an herbal...
- Dark Chocolate Can Lower Your Blood Pressure
According to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), dark chocolate can lower your blood pressure. By eating just 30 calories worth of dark chocolate every day, your blood pressure...
- 8 Super Health Benefits of Asparagus
Asparagus has so many health benefits, it should be added to the healthy diet. Asparagus is great as a detox vegetable, an anti-aging vegetable, and no surprise - an aphrodisiac, and much more. The...
- Probiotics and Other Benefits of Korean Kimchi
For centuries, kimchi has been a major part of the Korean diet. It is the traditional fermented food that is served at every meal. As Americans become more aware of the benefits of probiotics, kimchi is...
- Nutritious Prunes are Highest on the ORAC Scale
Remember Prunes? Those same prunes have recently been found to be the highest, by far, of all other whole fruits and vegetables on the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) scale.* According to studies...
- Use Mesquite Flour to Prevent Diabetes
When we think of mesquite we tend to think of barbeques and the mesquite wood that goes with it. Mesquite hardwood has been used for barbeques to add a smoky sweetness to grilled food. From that same tree...
- Foods to Help You Lose the Dangerous Belly Fat
People who carry excess weight around the belly are at increased risk for heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and some types of cancer. Reasearchers at Wake Forest University found that trans fats,* which has...
- 4 Amazing Health Benefits of Cranberries
As we finally move away from food products and back to food in its most natural state, we are finding out that fresh food has all the nutritional benefits that we will ever need This includes cranberries,...
- Sea Vegetables and the Amazing Health Benefits
By eating sea vegetables your diet will provide you with the most extensive array of minerals found in any food. Sea vegetables possess virtually all the minerals present in the ocean which are the same...