- Exercise & Fitness
The power of dieting and exercising for weight loss
Which of these do you think is the number one cause of obesity?
Helpful Tips to design a Diet and Exercise Plan
If you are serious about losing weight, you need to come up with a diet and exercise plan and you should strictly follow it. The rule of thumb is, you must take in fewer calories than you burn. However, this does not mean that you should starve yourself to become thin. That is very unhealthy and it can just make you sick. Other than that, it can also mess up your body’s metabolic process and you can end up gaining back the pounds that you lost.
You have to remember that coming up with an effective diet and exercise plan cannot be done instantly. You may have to do necessary changes depending on the results that you are getting. If you fail to lose a single pound after being on the strict plan after two weeks, this just means that you need to modify this plan. At the same time, you have to choose a plan that will be easier for your body to adjust to. Avoid drastic changes from your old routine as this may shock your system. Gradually improve your plan as you go along your way to becoming fit and toned.
Diet Plan Tips
1. Eat more proteins, legumes, vegetables and fruits. The vegetables and fruits are rich in fiber, which stabilizes your blood sugar levels, helping you curb those midday cravings. Fruits also contain natural sugars that will be your source of energy. Protein has a positive influence on your metabolic rate, pushing your body to burn more fat than it normally did. It also improves muscle fitness. Legume is a good source of calories too. You need this to avoid losing energy within the day, which is the common reason why dieters give up early on.
2. Avoid white carbohydrates, like white bread, white pasta, potatoes, and rice. They pack a lot of carbohydrates in every small serving. You should instead choose whole wheat grains that are rich in fiber. They will make you feel fuller longer.
3. Eat small meals and avoid skipping breakfast. When you skip breakfast, your tendency will be to eat more during lunch. You will also experience low energy levels, especially during the mornings, because you have not had your fill of carbohydrates, which is your energy source. The best plan is to eat smaller portions and do this for 5 to 6 times a day. This will greatly improve your metabolism. Starving yourself on the other hand will slow down your metabolism because you body will detect the low carb level so it will switch to preservation mode. This means that the fat burning process will slow down and most of your carb intake will be stored as fat.
4. Avoid energy drinks. They are loaded with sugar, which will give you a sugar rush that will only crash afterwards. When the crash comes, you will be craving for more sugary foods and drinks, and the cycle will go on.
Exercise Plan Tips
1. Get into high-intensity workouts. Actually, it would be better if you do low and high intensity workouts in intervals, as this will improve your resting metabolism. However, do not push your body to do high-intensity exercises when you were previously a couch potato. This may have bad effects on your health. Gradually build up your endurance. You should also ask your doctor if your body is fit to engage in certain exercises instantly.
2. Forty minutes to an hour of workout is enough. According to studies, continuing to exercise after this mark will have little benefit to your body. Besides, if you plan to work out for more than an hour, your tendency is to move slower to save your energy. High intensity training in short periods is proven to be more effective.
3. Do some weight lifting. This will build your muscles, which in turn improves your metabolism. As a tip, do the lifting slowly. This will maximize the move so that you can have good results even with fewer repetitions. Count to five for each lift and release.
4. Put some variety to your workout. After doing your exercise plan for a month, chances are you will be bored of doing them any longer. If you used to run for your cardio workout, try swimming on the following month. You may also join some sporting activities, which is a fun way to lose weight. Yoga and pilates are also good for toning and improving your flexibility.