- Diet & Weight Loss
8 Common Over Looked Causes of Weight Gain
Home Exercise Equipment
- Food Chemicals and "Diet Tweaking" Causes Obesity!
Think twice about tweaking your diet to lose the weight. By cheating your metabolism of a healthy balanced diet, you can further destroy this delicate physiological and regulartory weight management system. Learn the facts about how our culture has b
- Alcohol Consumption Good for You? What?
So you thought alcohol was bad for you. Well, not all alcohol is equivalent, nor bad for you. Science proves resveratrol found within the grape has many beneficial health effects. Read about this amazing antioxidant nutrient and how it can improve yo
What is Causing This Weight Gain?
Question asked from a Mirror Athlete Corp. Customer and answered by the author,
Q. What causes unexplained weight gain?
A. "Wow you didn't hold back anything here!" Seeing that I have no detail... This attracted me to post this question & answer within our monthly fitness eNewsletter because it is such a good question to answer. I'll take this as a personal challenge to identify the multiple causes of weight gain. I'll first start off by saying, I don't believe in unexplained weight gain, I believe there's a logical reason for weight gain." Now that I've set this stage, let me explain.
Causes of weight gain
- Congenital heart defects cause poor blood-fluid circulation, i.e., fluids in the feet, ankles and legs.
- Cushing's Syndrome - Is a hormonal disorder caused from prolonged exposure of body tissues to high levels of hormone cortisol (self induced Cushings symptoms from prednisone use). Symptoms include, but not limited to upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, thinning arms and legs.
- Fitness - Fitness develops muscle cells that weigh more than fat cells.
- Hypothyroidism - The Thyroid hormone is produced in the lower part of the neck and when the thyroid production falls below normal levels two of the symptoms cause modest weight gain.
- Kidney failure - The kidneys are responsible for filtering blood and removing waste products, controlling blood pressure and production of red blood cells. Inability to regulate water and electrolyte balance, clear waste products, can cause generalized swelling.
- Obesity - Excess body fat is "usually" caused by poor diet and/or lack of exercise activity.
- Medications - Most medications have side effects. Read signs and symptoms of your medications to determine if this is the cause of your weight gain. Consult your doctor.
- Pregnancy - Use a pregnancy test to determine if this is the source of your weight gain.
I may not have covered all areas that are the cause of weight gain, but these are the most common reasons for unexplained weight gain. Believe it or not, most of the weight control problems listed above "can be" controlled through proper diet and exercise. I know you've heard this before, but it's true.
Recommendations: Take daily walks to the store instead of driving the car, or walk your dog, or get a fitness membership, etc. Cut your processed food consumption in half. I.e., eat organic 3-4 times a week. Cut alcohol consumption out completely [social drinking is a big contributor to out of control weight gain] or at a minimum to no more that 1 glass, every other night. Cut sodium consumption in half. Increase fruits and vegetable consumption daily. Cut red meat consumption in half weekly. Increase poultry and fish consumption in place of red meat. Eat fried foods no more than 1/wk. Drink up to two liters of water per day. "Quit drinking sodas and latte type coffees!!!
Links: I've added hub links within this page that break these recommendations down further so you can understand how your weight is impacted by diet, lack of exercise and poor habits and behaviors. Also, I've added links that will provide information on how to get more fit while losing the weight.
Natural Weight Loss
- Are Energy Drinks Safe?
Energy drink overdoses and side effects are now being tracked nationwide as of Oct-Dec 2010 by the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Out of 300 recent energy drink poisonings a 1/4 of them were younger than the age of 6. The symptoms ca
- Secrets of Centurion Fit-Healthy Long Lives
Have you ever wondered what the secrets are to longevity? And have you also seen others that never seem to age and have tons of energy? If you want to know how they do it, look no further. You simply have to know what the mind, body and spirit need.
- How Cardio-Muscular Endurance Melts Off Pounds
Through the years I’ve had many ask me why is it important to maintain the body’s muscular endurance condition if you want to keep weight off for good. And why diet alone will not keep the body fat off as...