- Mental Health»
Why should you Stop Drinking Alcohol ? Bad Effects of Alcoholism
Alcoholism and Bad effects
Just like smoking Alcoholism also can lead to addiction and has numerous bad effects. Alcoholism has ruined several families and lives. Newspapers are full of stories about drunken driving and families ruined by alcohol. It is proved that the immediate physical effects of alcohol can happen ten minutes after drinking begins. Drinking alcohol in limited amounts may not prove fatal to health. One drink per day for Woman and 2 drinks for man is considered limited. Consumption of alcohol beyond those limits can be dangerous.Many people start drinking just to show off or being accepted by friends or society but it later becomes a habit one cannot get rid off.
Given below are the bad effects or impacts of Alcohol Consumption and ten reasons to stop drinking.
10 Reasons to stop Drinking Alcohol
Given are ten reasons to stop drinking.
1) Heavy drinking can lead to early death and permanent damage to vital organs such as the brain and liver. When a person is having a high blood alcohol level one is also at risk for coma or respiratory paralysis. Alcohol can also deplete the body of nutrients, raise blood pressure and increase the risk of cancer. Chronic drinkers have weaker immune systems and are more likely infections, allergies and other diseases. It may harm the thyroid function in women. It is also known to lead to impotence and erection problems in men.
2) Alcoholism affects Relationships and can have a major impact on family and social life. It interferes with the drinker's physical or mental health making one temporary insane that one may not realize what he is doing. Domestic violence and abusive behavior is a regular thing at a drunkard’s house. Drinking habit can even result in one losing the job. It also can lead you one to behave improperly or getting into arguments.
3) A prolonged exposure to alcohol can result in cravings just like drugs that one can become dependant on it. Alcohol Consumption is also a costly addiction and can burn a hole in ones pocket.
4) Drinking Alcohol can lead to impaired judgment and lack of coordination and can result in accidents while driving. Physical effects of alcohol and reduced inhibitions can mean the drinker is more likely to engage in activities like unprotected sex, gambling, using drugs etc.
5) Since alcohol affects the brain the alcoholic might get black out or memory loss and may not remember some situations or events afterwards.
6) Drinking can also expose one to dangers or higher risk by making them an easy target for robbery, rape, abuse etc.
7) Nausea and Vomiting after drinking is the body’s mechanism to protect itself by getting rid of the alcohol. One may also suffer from a hangover and may experience migraine, dizziness, dehydration, fatigue etc.
8) Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is a serious consequence of drinking while pregnant and can result in mental retardation and other irreversible physical abnormalities of the child. In addition, the children of alcoholic parents are more likely to become alcoholics.
9) Alcohol is often associated with health conditions like Obesity as alcohol is full of calories which are why going to gyms or health clubs to reduce weight does not bring many results in alcoholics. Moreover, these people are also more likely to have fried foods and other unhealthy accompaniments along with drinks.
10) Alcoholics often suffer from depression and stress. Alcoholics mostly suffer from severe sleep disorders.
But the good news is there are ways one can get rid of this bad habit.There are specialized Health Organizations offering help for Alcoholics in every country. So if you are addicted to drinking try to ‘Stop Drinking and Start Living’.
Impact of Alcohol on Brain
- Natural Home Remedies for Alcoholism
Like most diseases and health conditions alcoholism can also be cured. There are many easy to follow natural home remedies for treatment of alcohol addiction.
© 2009 Anamika S