Diet with the Bible 3-1: What Will Keep You Motivated?
- SparkPeople's Stage Three Overview
Find more information about this Stage on Sparkpeople's site.
Stage 3 ~ Strategy 1
You are about to enter Stage 3 of your new healthy lifestyle. This is a 10 week stage that focused on making sure you're changing your lifestyle. Perhaps you've learned tricks over the last 12 weeks to help you lose weight, but are they things you can do every day for the rest of your life? Healthy Living is about more than just losing weight, it's changing our actions and attitudes so we can have a great "rest of our life."
In this stage we're going to look at what motivates us. Hopefully you'll get to know yourself a bit better and those insights will help you transition into this lifestyle change. You'll need to keep practicing your healthy habits, but during this stage you'll begin to focus on the habit less and just allow it to be a part of your life.
Another thing you'll do each week is share the tips, articles, recipes and other great ideas that have worked for you (or that you're going to start trying) with the rest of the group Remember, you're not looking for something to "fix" someone else, you're looking for things that will help YOU in your lifestyle change and sharing them because they might help someone.
Preparing for Stage Three
Let's start with a look at where we are now?
Here are some questions to ask yourself as you begin this stage:
Rank Each of these "habits" from stage 2 -
Give a 5 to the habit you've mastered and a 1 to the one you think you'll never get right, then 2-4 in relative order.
- _____ Portion Control - Do you really know what 1/2 cup of veggies looks like? Do you always eat just one portion?
- _____ Eat the Right Stuff - Are you eating more fruits, veggies & complex carbs? How 'bout cholesterol & sodium intake? Are you able to limit your "junk" or desserts?
- _____ Exercise Consistently - How many days a week and/or minutes a day are you exercising?
- _____ Drink Water - How many glasses of water are you drinking each day?
- _____ Eat on Purpose - Do you plan ahead in your eating? Have you gotten control of the "why's" of eating?
- What weight loss strategies have you used in the last 12 weeks that you will be able to continue for the rest of your life? What one will be impossible for you to keep up with forever?
- Look at your Spiritual Goal from Stage 2. How often were you able to accomplish it? 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% (Not sure? Count your successful days and divide by the total days you worked at it.)
More Studies in this Series
- Diet With the Bible 2:6 - Find Unexpected Opportunities
- Weight Loss with the Bible - Stage 1 ~ The first 2 weeks
True weight loss requires lifestyle changes. The Bible has the answer for changing our life.
Stage 3 Strategy 1 Week 1 - Getting Motivated
Motivation, it's what you need most to truly grasp this new healthy lifestyle. One of your action steps for this first step is to pick four things that will motivate you to keep going with the progress you've made so far. Another is to pick a verse of scripture that can motivate you. Look at these and talk about how each could be motivational as you work toward a healthier lifestyle. (You can pick one or more of these for your action step, or pick one of your own)
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through him [Christ] who gives me strength
Proverbs 16:3 - Commit to the Lord whatever you do and all your plans will succeed
Philippians 1:6 - He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Matthew 19:26 - With man this is impossible, but with God everything is possible.
Genesis 21:22 - God is with you in everything you do
Mark 9:23 - Everything is possible for Him who believes
Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and don't lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.
Hebrews 13:5 - God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you."
Isaiah 41:10 - So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Which of these verses will motivate you to keep going when it seems like you just don't want to do it anymore?
Spark People Resources
Stage 3 Strategy 1 Week 2 - Staying Motivated
- As you begin today's study, first take 5 minutes and share your article, tip or recipe with the group. Did you bring copies for everyone?
- Now share the verse that you found would motivate you and share your other motivators with the group.
Read 1 Thessalonians 1:2-5
- What would working to lose weight and live healthier produced by faith look like?
- How can your hope in Jesus Christ inspire you to endure as you change your lifestyle to be a healthier you?
- Do you feel "chosen by God"? How might changing your attitude to one who is chosen by God help you in your endeavor?
- In what ways could a healthy lifestyle bring glory to God? How might keeping your current lifestyle not be a good witness to having Christ in your life?
- Consider that your eating habits, exercising, drinking and other healthy lifestyle changes could be a good witness to Christ. How can keeping that in the forefront of your mind help motivate you to better live a healthy life?