Emergency Preparedness Kit
Many homeowners choose to invest in emergency preparedness kits only when the family starts to get bigger. This should not be the case, because anybody, even those living alone in a house or apartment, can invest in these kits for emergency purposes.
It is sad to not that there are even people or households that does not even have them in their house. Well, you may call it overacting by what if something really happens. Something big that will affect the community and supplies are scarce. That will surely bring a big headache to your head.
That is why, it would be worthwhile to have them. There is no substitute to being prepared. Many lives have been save by preparing for any eventualities.
Emergency preparedness kits should not necessarily be life-saving. They should, however, be enough to help you sustain yourself until the time that relief crews and rescuers can assist you. Remember that establishments such as hospital or clinic may also be affected by the calamity and may fail to function right away.
The recommended emergency preparedness kit is the basic first aid kit which includes
- antiseptic wipes,
- Adhesive tape
- Antibiotic ointment
- Antiseptic solution or towelettes
- Bandages, including a roll of elastic wrap (Ace, Coban, others) and bandage strips (Band-Aid, Curad, others) in assorted sizes
- Instant cold packs
- Cotton balls and cotton-tipped swabs
- Disposable latex or synthetic gloves, at least two pair
- Gauze pads and roller gauze in assorted sizes
- First-aid manual
- Petroleum jelly or other lubricant
- Plastic bags for the disposal of contaminated materials
- Safety pins in assorted sizes
- Scissors and tweezers
- Soap or instant hand sanitizer
- Sterile eyewash, such as a saline solution
- Triangular bandage
- Medications (usually customized according to the family needs)
Emergency situations can usually cause injuries. This is why having a first aid kit on hand is very important to treat the injury as soon as possibly to avoid serious problems later on.
If the disaster is a major one, the medical personnel can look after seriously hurt victims. Anything you can do to stay out of their way will be very helpful since you already have a kit you can use to treat yourself.
Another good thing to consider would be first aid training. As you can see, it is better to know first aid and not need it, rather than need first aid and not know it. Some life threatening injuries can be save if given the right aid and some non life threatening situations may lead to long hospitalization or even death if given the wrong first aid.
What good are the first aid supplies if you do not know how to provide first aid.. right? I am sure there are first aid programs in different areas so finding one is definitely not a problem. In fact, in my case, I do train people on how to provide first aid. You may visit my First aid training hub page for more information about first aid. I also train people on how to provide CPR which is of equal importance to first aid.
Aside from first aid kit, the disaster kit should contain the following items
- food supplies good enough for 3 days (canned goods would be a good idea along with crackers since they can be stored for quite a time without expiring)
- bottled water (one gallon of water per person good for 3 days)
- matches and candles
- portable gas powered stove (for heating food and light cooking)
- a battery-powered radio and extra batteries
Check it from time to time
You can certainly use them should there be a calamity. As you may know, things may happen wherein the whole community will be affected and the stores and supermarket will be closed. Having this things at hand will surely give you enough time to survive without worrying.
Check your supplies from time to time for expiry. This is obviously important for foods as well as for your medical supply. Eating expired food may lead to poisoning and taking expired drugs may result to serious illness. With respect to your canned goods and other food items, you can always consume them prior to expiry date rather than throw them once they expire. That is why, it is important to check the expiry so you can can save money. Just make sure you replenish them to insure that your supplies are intact.