jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do we get ear wax, and where does it come from?

1. acouasm profile image73
    acouasmposted 8 years ago

Why do we get ear wax, and where does it come from?

I have always wondered this.

2. Glassie profile image53
    Glassieposted 8 years ago

I should imagine it is the same as boggies in that it is there to produce the inner parts of the ear from harm, where soes it come from again I would imagaine it is a natural body fluid the same as the water in blisters made to protect.

I don't actually know - I'm guessing.

3. pauleuro profile image63
    pauleuroposted 8 years ago

The Wikipedia page gives a good explanation of the source and function of 'ear wax' or 'cerumen'.
    The link you need is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwax

4. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

When you are sleeping, fairies stick candles in your ear to read by.  Some of the drippings remain when they have to yank them out when you turn over or start to awake.

5. steffsings profile image78
    steffsingsposted 8 years ago

It's the GOOD stuff that protects your ear from the BAD stuff like bacteria, fungus, & even INSECTS creeping & crawling around at night - a glandular product (don't you love that word? glandular - I could say that all day!)*BUT* I Loved the Earwax Faerie answer... Loved it loved it loved it. (I have always assumed thats where it came from too, no matter what they taught me at school) who's right? who's wrong? Who's to say?

6. DatingDragons profile image52
    DatingDragonsposted 8 years ago

the wax is produced by glands called ceruminous glands that are present in the external ear canal.  it traps dust and stuff.

avoid the temptation to use cotton tips to clean the wax as if it is not done properly you will be compacting the wax against your eardrum.  this will impede ur hearing and make it extremely difficult to remove

7. pelt545 profile image38
    pelt545posted 6 years ago

It is good to have some ear wax which is formed from a secret gland or so. I am unsure. Once you have so much earwax, you should have it removed as soon as possible. You can do research via Google on ways to prevent excess earwax. I think that using vitamin D is a way of making that happening.

working