When to ask for a medical second opinion

1. RGraf profile image92
    RGrafposted 8 years ago

When to ask for a medical second opinion

2. advisor4qb profile image77
    advisor4qbposted 8 years ago

I never fully realized the validity of this issue until my youngest child was misdiagnosed with craniosynostosis of the skull.  A very ambitious pediatric neurosurgeon wanted to perform a very dangerous surgery to correct this "problem," that would later cause retardation in my child, supposedly.  After being referred to a craniofacial plastic surgeon five hours away by a chance meeting with a parent of another child with this condition, my child was found to have had positional scaphocephaly (prominent in premies), which required no surgery and was easily corrected by the little old ladies in the daycare who rubbed his head back round with baby oil.  This misdiagnosis could easily have cost my child his life, as the surgery is life threatening!  I would say that the time to get a second opinion is when there is a question of major surgery.

3. smilefreely profile image60
    smilefreelyposted 8 years ago

I actually had this happen to a friend and I had to keep after them to get another opinion because, they were receiving too many different diagnosis and nothing was getting done.  By the time the hospital and the doctors did what they needed to do she lost an 1/8 of her liver.  Now her kidneys are effected as well.  All the hospital should have done with her complaints was to do a Hyda Scan and they would have found the problem much sooner and she may not have all these problems today.  I think the healthcare industry is becoming less caring and not wanting to really do the research and time that it takes to care for patients anymore.  It is very sad.  In my opinion I think it is almost a must for things that have been diagnosed that may be critical to someone's well being to get a second opinion.

working