jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are your thoughts on assisted suicide in medical cases where there is no cu

1. Dark knight rides profile image73
    Dark knight ridesposted 8 years ago

What are your thoughts on assisted suicide in medical cases where there is no cure for a problem?

One of my favorite authors, Terry Pratchett, has Alzheimer's and has publicly stated he would commit suicide when the disease progresses to the point he cannot function. Now the UK government has issued guidelines that fail to protect those who participate in assisted suicide, even in cases where there is no hope of recovery at this point.

2. SimeyC profile image96
    SimeyCposted 8 years ago

It's a difficult question and there are many religious and moral issues to think through - however these probably should not have a place! Personally I feel that I do not have a right to tell someone what they can or cannot do with their own lives. Laws are supposed to protect people, but I do not see how a law that goes against someones free will, that does not harm anyone else is a good thing!

3. roughtide profile image55
    roughtideposted 8 years ago

Personally, I think I would probably choose this way of going. In my own way, at my own choosing. I would try to do it in a way that my family would not realize what had really happened though. Sounds weird, but it would be something I would consider under the circumstances you described.

4. Suzanne Alicie profile image55
    Suzanne Alicieposted 8 years ago

I have always been of the opinion that if we are kind enough to put animals out of their misery when they are suffering that humans deserve the same consideration. Watching someone suffer with daily progressive pain and no quality or enjoyment of living is cruel.

working