jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you relish silence or find it unsettling?

1. kimbaustin profile image57
    kimbaustinposted 8 years ago

Do you relish silence or find it unsettling?

2. missreal profile image54
    missrealposted 8 years ago

I definitely relish silence. However it does depend on the context! For instance there are people you can spend time with and not have to worry about long silences in conversation, and then there is the dreaded awkward silence - usually between you and someone you don't know that well. I grew up on a farm and I miss the peace and quiet sometimes. It feels oh so relaxing to sit in silence for a few moments, but I feel if I lived by myself out in the middle of nowhere and had no visitors for days on end it might get unsettling!

3. RevLady profile image61
    RevLadyposted 8 years ago

In the noisy, loud world in which we live, what can inspire more tranquility of mind and soul than silences of grace. There is noise everywhere and complete silence, most often, has to be created, but I do relish in the sweetness of quietude.

Yet, because we are so entrenched in noise all around us, the sudden absence of it could be frightening.

4. donotfear profile image89
    donotfearposted 8 years ago

I relish the silence. During the day, the television is not on at my house.  Watch very little TV. Too much clutter and subliminal messages. I can go all week without it.  I live in the country so when I visit someone in the city, I cannot sleep because of all the street noise. It has to be totally quite for me to sleep.   Silence is wonderful!

5. mintinfo profile image74
    mintinfoposted 8 years ago

I try to gain at least an half an hour of complete silence each night to meditate. I try to completely clear my mind and listen to my inner being

6. Oldskool903 profile image74
    Oldskool903posted 8 years ago

I love silence, especially in the night hours when the world seems to stop. I love relaxing and enjoying silence, no tv, no radio, no anything but me and the natural world. i think the reason I love it so much is because this is when you get the chance to think about things, things that you truly love in life and care for. I find silence the most memorable moments in my life, until it gets ruined by a friend wanting to hang out or to go out and play a pick up game. I savor those moments because in a world like today it is difficult to find silence, so spend those few hours wisely for they will come and go.