jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is meat an important part of the diet? What can you substitute to take it's plac

1. angela_michelle profile image98
    angela_michelleposted 7 years ago

Is meat an important part of the diet? What can you substitute to take it's place?

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Mother Nature designed us as hunters and warriors with a gut to suit an omnivorous diet.

3. manthy profile image76
    manthyposted 7 years ago

I'd say yes, now a vegan could come on here and tell you that you can get the same benefit without eating meat but why do we have  teeth, it is to eat meat, that is why.
    Eat it in moderation and you will be OK

4. danmayerisgod profile image73
    danmayerisgodposted 7 years ago

Meat provides us with essential protein. If you can find a way to supplement this by eating more nuts, etc. then you may be able to cut out meat, but I wouldn't stop eating it entirely.

5. retrophoto profile image56
    retrophotoposted 7 years ago

I think cutting back on meats is a good thing.  That doesn't mean that we need to cut them out though.  Eating more veggies is very good and raw veggies is even better.

6. personaltraining profile image51
    personaltrainingposted 7 years ago

It's not terribly important so long as your vegetarian diet is balanced and healthy. Lean meat is a very good source of protein but in many cases the meat people consume is fatty and prepared in an unhealthy way.

Many people might also have ethical concerns with the meat industry as to how the animals are treated and concerns with steroids, antibiotics or other chemicals in the meat.

Bottom line in my point of view is that if you like meat, stick to lean cuts & preferably grilled, make sure you also get your fresh fruit and vegies. If you don't like meat or just don't want to eat it, that's fine as well and there's no reason why you can't still be fit, healthy and achieve an attractive, athletic physique.

7. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 7 years ago

If you choose not to eat meat, you should eat other foods high in protein like eggs, cottage cheese, and nuts.  I'm not sure we'll ever fully agree on whether eating meat is an important part of our diet.  I do like to eat beef and chicken.  Everything in moderation smile